Anyone using the new Intex 3000gph sand filter?

Jun 19, 2011
I want to replace my old 1600 since I went from an 18' to 22' pool. I've found it for as low as $179 which is a pretty good deal. I was also thinking of rigging up 2 2500gph cartridge filters together but the sand filter is less complicated.

I have seen a number of good reviews here for the Intex sand filter. It seems that the Intex sand filter is quite a bit better than the Intex cartridge filter. I have had Intex cartridge filters in the past and I wasn't a fan. Never tried the sand filter.

I have the 2650 sand filter connected to the Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 3/4 HP pump on my 5300 gallon pool. This setup is s match made in heaven. I have had the sand filter for over two years and the only problem is the gasket started to act up so I opened the top of the valve and lubed it, which took less than five minutes. No more issues. The filter has been connected to the Hayward for over a year. On the other hand, the pump that came with the 2650, although it did the job, it did not last long. Those pumps do not last long.

I had the 2650 for the past 2 years until the pump got fried by a nearby lightning strike, ordered the 3000gph replacement filter for less than a new pump would have been from intex and just swapped the pump in. Both have enough capacity for vacuuming, but both also have a problem ingesting pine needles, they tend to jam up in the impeller blades and you lose all suction. Not difficult to fix, but annoying anyway.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.