Jandy Stealth Pump running dry?

HouTX

Apr 13, 2015
Houston, TX
( I am a newbie first time pool owner ).I have 2 pumps, one for the pool and one for the waterfall. I cleaned the pump baskets last week and noticed that the pool pump was running whisper quiet So I looked at it this morning and seems to be running dry. There is no splashing water visible through the lid, just some fine particles floating. So I turned on the other pump (waterfall) and I can see and hear the gush of splashing water as it is on, but not on the pool pump.

My hot tub with spill over is working when the filter pump turns on, so my question is would the spill over work if the pool pump were running dry ?

No, the pool pump is normally the pump that powers the spillover.

Running dry is called losing prime. If that happens you want to re-prime the pump. That means turn the pump off, fill the pump strainer basket with water, turn the pump on again, and watch to see if it gets going correctly or runs dry again.

You don't want to run the pump dry, as this can damage the pump.

Yes, I did learn about priming the pump on this forum and was able to get it primed after cleaning. So, if the spillover is working than the pump is primed and not running dry ? Or can it lose prime but still work ?

I'm confused here. If the pump is pumping water then it is primed and running fine. Why do you think it is dry?

The process of priming a pump is done at start up where the basket and pipe are filled with water so that the pump can start pumping water. Once this is done it generally stays primed for a long time unless something happens.

I have two identical pumps (except for amps), sitting next to each other. When I turn the waterfall pump on I can clearly see and hear the water splashing around from the lid. When I turn the pool pump on I see/ hear no water splashing (unless it is full and totally clear up to the lid). I do see small matter floating but I can't tell if it is full of water or air!

I have two identical pumps (except for amps), sitting next to each other. When I turn the waterfall pump on I can clearly see and hear the water splashing around from the lid. When I turn the pool pump on I see/ hear no water splashing (unless it is full and totally clear up to the lid). I do see small matter floating but I can't tell if it is full of water or air!

Oh, I see. I'm familiar with your other thread. Yes, it is entirely possible for the basket to be completely full of water and look like there is nothing in there and have lots of water going through it. The little bit of debris passing through is a good sign that water is moving through. But a better sign is that there is water coming out of the end of the pipe. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.