Older pool liner replacement.....advice.

dpease

May 20, 2014
Mt Pleasant, PA 15666

The pool at this home is older. Is there anyway for me to know the manufacturer? I know it has vermiculite on floor and metal walls. I know this because the liner is ripped bad and I can see the walls and bottom. My DH and I measured for new liner. The sides are not equal off by almost 1 and 3/4 inches. There is alot of ground water here. It has caused one side of the pool deck to tilt away from pool badly. I called the only inground pool company in our royal area of PA for liner replacement for an estimate to fix the entire thing and he says he will stop but never does, which leaves me and DH to attempt to replace the liner. So my question is can it be replaced? I noticed after we started looking behind the liner that there is ground water leaking in from the light niche where it meets the metal wall on the bottom. Can I repair this leak with epoxy? Is it normal for pools in places with high water table to be off on one side? Is there a company I should use for a custom liner that anyone can recommend? I think if we address the ground water issue my hope is the new liner should last. From what I was told from previous home owner, this liner is about 7 years old. I just want new liner to fit well. I read post about loosing pool water through light leak but nothing about ground water leaking into pool at light. Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.
1. 17 X 32 Grecian
2. Hayward 1 3/4 hp pump
3. Hayward 200lb Sand filter
4. IN Line Chlorinater
5. Hayward Light niche no light in pool
Can I buy a new Hayward light for old niche? There's a old transformer there but no clue if it works.
3 and half foot shallow * foot deep end
maybe in wrong section of thread...sorry!

Last edited:
It says your location is Mt Pleasant. As there are bunches of Mt Pleasant's, can you give some more location info, such as a zip code, closest major city, etc. Someone might be able to help you find a local guy who can come and help you.

Welcome to the forum, Dpease.

When I took over my foreclosure pool i was worried I'd need a new liner (but thankfully, didn't ;) but I had looked into it a bit. My grecian isn't actually custom and I suspect that may be true for yours also based on your dimensions, btw. If like me, you'd rather have a pro do your liner I can at least point you to the company that I believe originally fabricated mine for help ;)

So this isn't necessarily a "recommendation" re companies, but a suggestion to help you find help: if you visit https://lathampool.com/products/inground-pool-liners.html and enter your info on the form as needing an installer and service, the company may be able to connect you with someone.

Alternately, if you call them and tell them what you're dealing with they might also be in a position to answer some of your questions.

Eg., when a vinyl pool is empty, I would not expect seeping groundwater to necessarily indicate that it will be an issue once its full again....the weight of the water creates pressure against the groundwater, which is one of the reasons why unless one is changing the liner its not recommended to empty vinyl pools.

Best wishes in finding help and sorry I don't have something more localized to assist ;)

PLease help anyone!!!......name of friend of a friend. lol. And btw the ground water was behind the liner last year before it ripped. We used a shop vac to extract. So even when pool is full the ground water is an issue. LOL But right now just would like a new liner installed.! How about a reputable liner company to order from? I have measurements and shop vacs and friends. lol I think we can handle it. We have had to put liner in beads atleast 20 times last year. The ground water again. lol Once had to drain to half way to get wrinkles out left from ground water. But would like a liner that way the kids can swim until someone comes out for renovation. So again any company that users have ordered from that they found to be reputable and liner quality what they ordered. Was gonna do Hydra but the F BBB rating scared me, there are contractors that have gotten liners not to the measurements they submitted. Scarey.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So here's is before.
fa99ffafe6a199a97dcb4c259695b549.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.