Will this sand filter/pump combo work with Wanda the Whale?

meganv

Jul 2, 2012
San Diego, CA
I currently have a 150sq ft cart filter, and a 1.5 hp pump. Getting rid of them, and switching the pool out for the following:

4600 gallon pool, over the top hanging skimmer, intex 3000 gallon sand fiter/pump combo.

This is the filter/pump combo http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GSPHS7E/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

The description lists it as a .95 hp pump.

Will this set up still work with Wanda the Whale?

I am nervous getting rid of the 1.5hp pump, but trust the advice I have gotten here that a slower pump will allow more debris to filter out.

Thanks so much!

It sould like you are getting rid of the current pool. IMHO, I would keep the Hayward pump and Pentair filter. They are likely to have a longer life than the sack pools pump/filter. They may not work with the over the wall skimmer but would work with a standard wall skim.

Unless, I read this wrong.

Techguy, the cart filter has a crack, so I need to switch out filters. I wanted to do sand, but it's my understanding that a 1.5 hp pump would be too powerful and cause tunnels in the sand. Is that right?

I would love to do a through wall skimmer, but it is a rectangular pool and I have only seen one example of someone doing that on a rectangle and it was below the seam. Because of 48" pool depth, I would hate to lose water by placing a through wall below the seem. If you have some advice on this, I would appreciate it!!

The new pool comes with a small sand filter .5hp pump, which I know is too small. Was thinking the intex 3000 gallon pump/filter combo would work.

Techguy, the cart filter has a crack, so I need to switch out filters. I wanted to do sand, but it's my understanding that a 1.5 hp pump would be too powerful and cause tunnels in the sand. Is that right?

I would love to do a through wall skimmer, but it is a rectangular pool and I have only seen one example of someone doing that on a rectangle and it was below the seam. Because of 48" pool depth, I would hate to lose water by placing a through wall below the seem. If you have some advice on this, I would appreciate it!!

The new pool comes with a small sand filter .5hp pump, which I know is too small. Was thinking the intex 3000 gallon pump/filter combo would work.

I have the 1600gpm sand filter with .5hp motor and though filtration and circulation are excellent, this pump doesn't have enough reserve for vacuuming. I loose about half the suction with vacuum connected so I wouldn't got with a pump with less than 1hp.

Disclaimer: I don't know sand filters from Adam.

Could you find a standard (non-Intex/Poly) sand filter that would allow you to keep the larger motor? Maybe Craigslist find from someone looking to move to a cartridge or DE? Or even a set with an existing 1HP and sand?

I guess what I am saying is if you are moving away from the standard Intex/Poly setup, move all the way to standard AG equipment that have a much higher "duty cycle" and are designed for 24/7 operation. I am not confident that "temporary pool" manufacturers design to this level. I could be wrong.

I used a Lil Shark with the Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 3/4 HP Pump and the Intex 2650 sand filter. I never had a problem with suction. Since you are going to buy something, I suggest getting a larger filter and attaching it to your current pump. That intex pump will probably stop working before you want it to. They are not self priming and any flow issue is going to impact it.

Alright, it seems the recommendation is to keep the hayward pump, and just get a larger sand filter. However, looking at the charts it appears I would need a HUGE sand filter to accommodate such a high strength pump. 30", 500lb seems to be the recommendation. Realistically, this simply isn't feasible. Those sand filters cost more than my pool!

So, that leaves me searching for options:

-If I keep the 1.5 hp pump, what filter medium would that leave me with? Is a 30" really my only functional option?

-If I go with a different pump/sand filter option, which one is recommended that will still work with my Wanda the Whale?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I am no expert by any stretch of the imagination when it comes to pumps and filters, I have been asking a ton of questions on these forums which has helped. I am replying to your post in that... I have called Hayward recently to get some advice on the pump, the help line wasn't allot of help but the rep told me that I need to have a pump selected to be able to match the filter, makes sense ... Perhaps you could call some of the manufacturers and ask them what the least expensive filter they have of all the 3 main types that would work with the pump? Just a thought as I have been calling them to get some similar information ... Just my .02 worth ...

- - - Updated - - -

scratch that ... Just .01 worth

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.