Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cellulose in DE Filter

1. Back To Top    #1

Cellulose in DE Filter

I've been using cellulose in my Hayward DE3620 for about 6 months, just using the cheap stuff from Home Depot (can't remember the brand, I think Pool Time?). I've been happy with the results, but have noticed that when I backwash the water comes out pretty clear, even though I know the grids should be dirty. Opening up the housing for a hose down of the grids shows a lot of accumulated 'stuff'. This means I've being doing full cleans every couple of months rather than just a backwash. So ...

1) Is this an issue related to cellulose generally or possibly just the brand I was using?

2) Is it bad to do that frequency of full cleans (just hosing)? I go though a lot of silicon grease for sure!

3) I had to do a full clean again yesterday after a LOT of live oak blossom being filtered through, and had to get a bag of Jack's Magic fiber from Pinch Your Money - about 3 times as expensive per oz than the Home Depot stuff which I can't find any more. Any recommendations on cellulose fiber supply?

Thanks,
    Mike
    Built 1980, 19' x 30' almost rectangular, screened 15,000 gal, plaster, Hayward DE 3620 filter (currently using cellulose), Emerson 1081 1HP pump, AquaCal Heatwave SuperQuiet SQ110R heater, Zodiac T5 Cleaner, Taylor K-2006 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Cellulose in DE Filter

Cellulose backwashes better in some filters, worse in others. There doesn't seem to be any real consistency to the various reports we have gotten. Still, it shouldn't be a big deal.

Doing a full cleanup a bit more often is fine.

There are many brands. You could try the Internet and/or pool stores.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Do you backwash right before you break it down?

Do you replace 100% of the cellulose after backwashing or 70% of the recommended amount of a full charge?

How often did you need to backwash while using DE?

Do an amazon search for fiber, Walmart, local pool stores, etc. There are many brands out there and I believe the all pretty much do the same thing as I haven't heard one brand being better than any other brand.

My experience was that fiber was costing 3 times as much money and maintenance time as DE due to having to frequently backwash with cellulose and the DE rarely needing to be backwashed.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

4. Back To Top    #4

Do you backwash right before you break it down?
    Yes

Do you replace 100% of the cellulose after backwashing or 70% of the recommended amount of a full charge?
    Always a full clean, so 100%

How often did you need to backwash while using DE?
    About the same as with cellulose, every couple of months
    Built 1980, 19' x 30' almost rectangular, screened 15,000 gal, plaster, Hayward DE 3620 filter (currently using cellulose), Emerson 1081 1HP pump, AquaCal Heatwave SuperQuiet SQ110R heater, Zodiac T5 Cleaner, Taylor K-2006 test kit

5. Back To Top    #5

I too have noticed the cellulose gets gooey and clings to the grids. I've used several different brands, and they all do it. I suspect it might be starting to biodegrade. Cellulose is biodegradable, after all.

I've got my routine down now so it only takes about twenty minutes twice a year to clean things. Backwash a minute, disassemble, clean, reassemble, another backwash to rinse the hose. Done.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
    I too have noticed the cellulose gets gooey and clings to the grids. I've used several different brands, and they all do it. I suspect it might be starting to biodegrade. Cellulose is biodegradable, after all.

I've got my routine down now so it only takes about twenty minutes twice a year to clean things. Backwash a minute, disassemble, clean, reassemble, another backwash to rinse the hose. Done.
    Looks like I'll have to stick to full cleans then as I want to continue with cellulose, thanks for the feedback.

As an aside, I've just remembered that my high school equivalent Biology project (UK A-levels) was to put strips of different plastics and cellulose into various soil types, leave them for a month or so, then put them under a microscope and try to culture the various bacteria and fungi that colonized and biodegraded the strips. Got me hooked and ended up getting a BSc (Hons) in Microbiology at university.

7. Back To Top    #7

I have to manually clean mine often also, but I never had DE as I bought this house and the former owner was use Cellulose Fiber. If you want to try some different ones out, I use Purifiber. You can probably get it cheaper in store but Amazon is quick and easy too: http://www.amazon.com/Purifiber-Cell.../dp/B009W3WLOY
    22,000 gallon IG; plaster; 16x32 Rectangular, Depth 3.5-8Ft.
    Hayward Pro-Grid DE Filter - 48sqft w/ cellulose fiber & Hayward Energy Flo RS Pump - .75HP (1.85SF)
    Very old 312sqft solar system, TFT-100 Kit with Speedstir