Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Persistent water quality problems [VIDEO]

1. Back To Top    #1

Helsinki, Finland

Persistent water quality problems [VIDEO]

The surface of the water looks like it has pollen/oil/grease/foam on it. What is that? Is it organic/non-organic?

Here is a video of me refilling my CalSpas hot tub with fresh water and immediately the surface of the water looks filthy:
    Here is another video from a few weeks ago:

It's a 2010 CalSpas hot tub located in Finland. I've been using AquaFinesse and chlorine to maintain the water. There was a foam problem from summer 2014 to december and I just kept adding AquaFinesse and chlorine regularly. I tried to fix the problem in december, too late I guess. I followed advice from a spa dealer and what I was able to find on the internet. Among the things I did in december:
    - changed the water 2 times
    - added sodium bicarbonate
    - added Leisure Time's "FoamDown"
    - added "JetClean", let it sink in for the night, tried to wash the surfaces with water and vacuumed any remaining water as best as I could. When I refilled the tub I was horrified to see the water was immediately dirty.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Grand Rapids, MI

Re: Persistent water quality problems [VIDEO]

I don't know what's in jet clean, but my money is on it. Its likely still cleaning your jets...which means another water change may be on tap
    In ground extended Grecian, 22,000 gal, Hayward 220t sand filter, vinyl liner, dolphin m4 supreme.
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!
    Helpful Links:
    GET A TEST KIT Chlorine/CYA Chart How to SLAM About Metals & Stains

3. Back To Top    #3

Sydney, Australia

I got a new spa back end of last year, until recently ( and with my previous spa) I had been dumping in all manner of lotions and potions thinking it was something that just had to be done, having just built a pool and seen the success of the TFP Method there, I have dispensed with my spas Nature 2, Spa Shock, Lithium Hypo, Anti Foam, Clarifier and just dump in 4ppm (50ml for me) of Pool Chlorine (12.5%) after each soak, I am attempting to maintain a residual of 2ppm however the ozonator is making that difficult.

I had 4 x 3 yr old kids in there on Saturday, I hate to think what they did in there, I forgot to sanitise after, but Sunday the water was just disgusting, 250ml of chlorine over 2 days and nothing else except 2x5 hour filtration, water is clear as...
    8M x 4M Inground Concrete, 40k Litres, Waterline Tiles/Quartzon, Viron P320 VS Pump, Sand Filter(Glass Media) Astral VX-9 SWCG, Heatpump w/ Solar Cover. Zodiac V3 4WD Robot. Bullfrog A8D Spa(1800Litres).

4. Back To Top    #4
    Mod Squad
    DFW, TX

Here is a link that includes another link for cleaning and refilling and caring for your spa.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach