Added bleach to raise FC to 6 but went to 8.5

Iwilk

Jun 18, 2013
Louisville, KY
This will be my 3rd year using the TFP method with the same pool. For whatever reason, when I added bleach last night to the pool it took the FC level up higher than I anticipated. My pool is aprox. 9,300 gallons (21 ft round by 3.58 inches deep).
I used the pool calculator to figure raising my FC from 1.5 to 6 (between the rain and me being sick I wanted it a little higher than my target). I added 64 oz of 8.25% bleach and when I retested a couple hours later the FC was at 8.5 (17 drops). I would have had to add about 98 ounces of bleach to get that. I tested again this morning before sunrise and FC was at an 8 (16 drops). Any ideas? I'm so stumped.

readings from last night

CC .5
FC 8.5
PH 7.3
TA 60
CYA - 0- socks are currently in pool, just opened this past Sunday

My theory is that your water wasn't fully mixed (you said rain?) when you tested initially. SO your FC was higher than you thought....

Yes, my pump has been running non stop since Sunday when we opened. I took the test water from the opposite side of the return about a foot down. I will be adding bleach this evening. I'm going to add it in 2 steps tonight. I'll test after each addition and see what I come up with. I will make sure I wait about 45 minutes after each addition before I test.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.