Skimmer - Auto-drain - not draining pool

Aug 5, 2014
Oviedo, FL
We had an auto-drain connected to the back of our skimmer during construction. The goal was that when the water level gets too high in the pool (up to the hole), the water will drain out and into a nearby bed.

We received a lot of rain last night and our pool is filled almost even with the decking. Our auto-drain is not working, as the 3/4" hole in the back of our skimmer is submerged my 5 or 6" of water. The other end of the pipe (where the water drains out of) does not have any water dripping from it.

When I pull one of the connecting pieces of pipe off of the top of the bed pipe I can see water. Any ideas of why this is not working?

I don't believe the line is clogged because I can see water on both ends. Does the drain pipe have to be below the water level of the pool in order for it to work properly?

The entire length of pipe, from skimmer to planting bed needs to be below the water level in the pool for this to work.

That's kinda what I thought. The length of the pipe from skimmer to planting bed is below the pool water level. However, that pipe goes vertical to get above ground level. I think water level would put the exit side of the pipe in the ground. Any creative ideas with how to fix this?

Water is not going to flow up the pipe to a level above that of the pool. The exit (and all the pipe) must be at or below the desired pool water level. In this case it sounds like it will have to be underground. You could back fill around the pipe exit with gravel, but if the water is no absorbing into the surrounding soil fast enough, the pool will not continue to drain.

The water will not climb up the pipe trap. You might be able to induce a siphon with a wet-n-dry shop vacuum or something at the outlet, but as soon as the water level reaches the inlet, you'll lose the siphon. And the same thing will happen again until it's fixed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.