Suction side, replacing all valves

JVTrain

TFP Expert
Feb 3, 2014
Central Minnesota
Here's a quick shot of what I'm working with. Putting in 2 3-way Jandy Neverlube valves to replace the 3 cheapo 2-way valves, main drain valve did not hold air lock when closing last fall so it was chopped, plugged.
fa0bc8b5bc0c90cd2186e6056d9a3b93.jpg

Sent from mobile device. Beware of brevity and spelling errors!

I still hate that the underground runs are flexible PVC but until they're a problem, not going to replace them. The only complication I have is that the MD run already has a union (hard to see, but below the plugged pipe, you can just see the union down lower) and there's not going to be much left above ground once I chop it off again and splice in the new rigid PVC set up. The other issue is I don't have a lot of area to work with so I'm using the side of the 2 3 way valves as the inlet, rather than the center. Going to shave the lever tab stop off the valve that will control flow from the skimmers so that I can still run either skimmer by itself as needed. Even when your rotate the top plate to make the side of the T the "Inlet" the tab prevents rotating to be able to isolate either skimmer independently.

It is much better to rotate the three way valve so that the center port is the outlet and the two side ports are the inlets.

Sorta confused by terminology. Since I am on the suction side, each three way will have 2 inlets (water flowing into valve) and 1 outlet (water flowing out of valve). The default configuration is as pictured:
4715-2-1.jpg

My plan was to have, starting at the pump the valve (#1) as pictured with the opening on the right connected to the pump, the opening in the center going to the main drain and the opening on the left going to the other 3 way valve (#2) for the skimmers. Then to have valve #2 rotated 180 degrees, similar to as pictured with the opening on the right going to valve #1, opening in the center going to skimmer A and opening on left going to skimmer B:
26-295-1053_XL.jpg

Not sure in these cases which direction the INLET label on the top of the valve should be oriented to.

The middle-port, port #2 in your description and the port closest to the middle in the first photo should be the one connected to the pump (or connected to the other valve on the second valve).

When used on the suction side of the pool, the two ports that are directly opposite each other should be the two inlet ports. And the port that has nothing opposite it should be the outlet.

The middle-port, port #2 in your description and the port closest to the middle in the first photo should be the one connected to the pump (or connected to the other valve on the second valve).

When used on the suction side of the pool, the two ports that are directly opposite each other should be the two inlet ports. And the port that has nothing opposite it should be the outlet.

Was hoping to orient them differently in the interest of saving space, neatness and less quantity of 90s I'd have to install. I'll have to play with some layouts, maybe shifting one of the flexible skimmer suction lines coming out of the ground.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Filled to level where I'm able to run the pump. Lost no volume over night. Ran the pump with new suction side plumbing with no air bubbles in pump basket after achieving pump prime. I believe victory is mine!

Sent from mobile device. Beware of brevity and spelling errors!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.