Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New Owner/Builder, Los Angeles

1. Back To Top    #1

New Owner/Builder, Los Angeles

I'm starting on a new owner build in the San Fernando Valley area of Los Angeles. I have the plans finalized and am looking to send them out for bidding. If anyone reading this has been down this road before in LA, I would love phone numbers for excavators and rebar guys to get a few bids on my project and get it rolling. Thanks!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New Owner/Builder, Need Referrals for Subs

I can't help but welcome to TFP.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks Casey for the welcome! I have been reading this forum for years and am looking forward to join the world of pool owners myself. So much good stuff to be found on this site, it's really amazing.

4. Back To Top    #4

I also don't have local subs, but what I found was that you can get great referrals from the "neighboring" sub. By that I mean my shotcrete sub knew a couple of really good steel guys and plaster subs. The steel guys knew the excavators and the plumbers (they tend to cross paths a lot) and the plumbers often knew the electricians. Since the "neighbor" often sees the bare job, they tend to know when it's done right. My shotcrete sub has been shooting pools in the PHX area for 30 years and he was loads of help. He even talked me into some design changes and I am happy he did. Find a good shotcrete/gunite sub and start in the middle.

My 2c

Good luck!
    Owner-Builder, 13,500 IG StoneScapes Mini Pebble (Aqua White), Pentair 160301 Cartridge Filter, Intellichlor IC40, Intelli pH system, Intelliflo VS pump, Startup 2/26/2015

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

I'm so glad you're sharing your build! I'm always impressed when I read about someone building their own pool!! I can hardly manage the small part I play in the pool build. I knew I had to have a pool builder!

Have you found the first round of subs you need? When you get a chance, post some pictures. Begin with your design. And let us know your specs - the signature area works well for that.

Come on back and catch us up. Take care! Suz.
    Suz~Cypress area~ 2015 pool build. 23K gallons. IG swcg system. 35'x18'; 573sf; 104' perim; depth 4'-7'. Bubblers, sheer descents, 7' spa. Jandy: color LEDs; 2HP 2sp pump; 1HP 2sp pump; spa pump; 580 cartridge; 400K BTU; Dolphin M500; PS8; Inline chlorinator not used; Aqua Pure 1400. Blue Granite Sheen. Travertine deck. Lightstreams Peacock Blue TF-100, K-1766, SpeedStir

6. Back To Top    #6

So after much back and forth with the HOA and the city, we broke ground on May 26th. Since i have been reading this board for over two years now, i wanted to update TFP on the fun ride so far... so hopefully these pics come through ok.

7. Back To Top    #7

Re: New Owner/Builder, Los Angeles

- - - Updated - - -

I voted to demo the kid's playhouse, but lost that battle to basically everyone else in the family... I think it will turn out ok in the end.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

After debating endlessly about whether to use shotcrete or gunite, i went with shotcrete...

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

8. Back To Top    #8

GOOD LOOKING!

What is the difference between shotcrete and gunite?
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

9. Back To Top    #9

Shotcrete is mixed with water and then shot onto the structure. It generally has larger aggregate and a rougher finish. Gunite is generally the same but the dry mixture is shot on the structure and water is mixed in at the gun as applied, It usually uses sand or fine aggregates.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

10. Back To Top    #10

Thankyou for that explanation, gwegan

Yippee
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

11. Back To Top    #11

Any updates?

12. Back To Top    #12

Looking good! I love the entry of the pool and all the various sitting areas. What is the size?
    Completed new pool & spa in Pasadena, CA Oct 2015
    14' x 25', raised bond beam for water feature
    deck jet, Baja step, 7'x7' spa
    Pentair equip, saltwater, EasyTouch remote system

13. Back To Top    #13

It has been slow going lately. I was given the advice to wait three weeks before starting the coping/tiling to make sure no cracks developed, which luckily they did not. So all that time allowed me to change my mind a dozen times on the pool tiles and stacked stone. My wife and I finally found a compromise... and the materials were delivered today. I'm super excited with the tile we found...

[/URL]

- - - Updated - - -

The size of the pool is 28x14 with a 8x7 spa. Seems small, but it really fills up my backyard, so I couldn't imagine anything bigger. The depth is 3.5 to 7 feet in the deep end. Also will have a 5 foot sheer descent when all done.

14. Back To Top    #14

Having that recommended waiting period really paid off for you! Your choices are beautiful. I can't wait to see it in the finished pool. I hadn't heard the 3 week wait thing to avoid cracks before. Luckily ours didn't have any cracks either.

15. Back To Top    #15

Thanks! Hopefully the coping and tile will start next week. I will post some updates once there is some progress.
    Rectangular pool 28x16 and spa 8x7, 17,000 gallons, IG, Tropics Blue Mini-Pebble, Jandy 60 DE filter, saltwater cell, Jandy VS pump, 1.5 hp Jandy spa pump, 400k heater, 5' Sheer Descent with 1 hp Jandy pump, Jandy color LED lights. Build Thread

16. Back To Top    #16

Paving tiles were delivered over the weekend and the city passed my pre-deck inspection today... coping and tile to start on Friday, decking installation next week hopefully.

Rectangular pool 28x16 and spa 8x7, 17,000 gallons, IG, Tropics Blue Mini-Pebble, Jandy 60 DE filter, saltwater cell, Jandy VS pump, 1.5 hp Jandy spa pump, 400k heater, 5' Sheer Descent with 1 hp Jandy pump, Jandy color LED lights. Build Thread

17. Back To Top    #17

Nice!

You could have turned the play house into the pump room!
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Raypak PR266AEN (266k btu) gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.
    Dolphin E10 Cleaning Robot.

18. Back To Top    #18

That is going to look so clean and sleek. I'm excited for you! So these paving tiles are for your decking area? What's your coping going to be? And what kind of tiles are those? We are thinking about doing something similar for a small patio area after our pool is done so I'm surely interested.

19. Back To Top    #19

Those pavers look great. What kind of stone are they?

20. Back To Top    #20

The coping is going to be the same stone, just thicker. The pavers are one and a quarter inch thick travertine, 16x24. The coping will be two inches thick, and it is the holdup right now. Supposed to be delivered on Friday. I know a lot of people have reservations about travertine decking near a swimming pool, but i have had nothing but good experience with it, so it was right for us. I'll just seal it and keep my fingers crossed!

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast