Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Round pressure gauge vs. square back

1. Back To Top    #1

Round pressure gauge vs. square back

Hopefully this makes sense...

My Waterco pump has a "rounded indentation" for a gauge and a o-ring.

All the gauges I find have SQUARE ends and when I tighten it the o-ring does not seat. This has leaked since day one and I would like to fix.

Any ideas where I can find a rounded back end to fit my round opening ?

Hopefully this picture will help.

14,750 GAL IG Fiberglass (16 x 33) NE Ohio || Jandy 1HP 2 speed Pump || Waterco MultiCyclone 16 Centrifugal pre-filter (removed due to not working with sand filter) || 30" 575 Lb. Sand Filter || AquaCal 140K BTU Heat Pump || Solar Cover || Inter-fab Adrenaline Slide || GLI Monsoon Solar Cover Reel || K-2006C Test Kit || BBB with Liquid Chlorine Stenner Injection || Rayner Mighty Mesh Winter Cover

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Round pressure gauge vs. square back

The square sides are so you can put a wrench on it. You shouldn't need an o-ring, just some Teflon tape on the threads. Was it not super hard to get the gauge to go in that far? Mine wouldn't go that far without a wrench most of the way.

30K gallon IG vinyl. 1.5HP 2-speed Waterway Mustang pump. 600 lb sand filter. Polaris 280. Circupool SI-60+. TF-100

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by n240sxguy View Post
    The square sides are so you can put a wrench on it. You shouldn't need an o-ring, just some Teflon tape on the threads. Was it not super hard to get the gauge to go in that far? Mine wouldn't go that far without a wrench most of the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mmmmm, I got a ton of Teflon (like 5-6 wraps) and I tightened by hand. Wonder if I have a different issue than I thought ?
    14,750 GAL IG Fiberglass (16 x 33) NE Ohio || Jandy 1HP 2 speed Pump || Waterco MultiCyclone 16 Centrifugal pre-filter (removed due to not working with sand filter) || 30" 575 Lb. Sand Filter || AquaCal 140K BTU Heat Pump || Solar Cover || Inter-fab Adrenaline Slide || GLI Monsoon Solar Cover Reel || K-2006C Test Kit || BBB with Liquid Chlorine Stenner Injection || Rayner Mighty Mesh Winter Cover

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Too much Teflon (2-3 turns is enough) and too many turns on the gauge.......it looks like it has bottomed out......maybe stripped.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

I'm wondering if that pump might have some oddball metric thread that's close, but not the same, as national pipe thread. I looked up the waterco website and looked at some manuals to see if it had a parts list, and it's in a bunch of languages. And no parts list.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

Round pressure gauge vs. square back

Gotta be something going on. Mine is 1/4"npt. I always use 5-6 turns of Teflon. Mine tightened up in 3-4 turns max. Npt is cut on a taper, so it should take incredible force to get it in that far.

30K gallon IG vinyl. 1.5HP 2-speed Waterway Mustang pump. 600 lb sand filter. Polaris 280. Circupool SI-60+. TF-100

7. Back To Top    #7

Yeah by all means I did not use incredible force I gotta believe it's some bizarre size.... I'm sure I can call Waterco and see what they say on the matter

8. Back To Top    #8

It's most likely BSP parallel threads which require an o-ring. It would be close enough in size to a NPT tapered thread that it would fit, but it wouldn't seal.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

9. Back To Top    #9

Okay if that's the case what do I do

10. Back To Top    #10

Grainger has them and I'm sure other places do as well.
    Is it 1/4 or 1/8? 1/4 will actually be 1/2" OD and 1/8 will be 3/8" OD.
    Also what size is the case? 40 or 50mm (1½" or 2")

They also make adapters from BSP to NPT.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump

11. Back To Top    #11

Just to close the loop on this, I contact the MFG and they shared it is BSP thread. Since they are international, they have this "issue" to deal with.
    Now I just gotta find one of these suckers....

12. Back To Top    #12

See if you can find a bsp to npt bushing, then you can buy the same type of gauge the other 90% of us use.

13. Back To Top    #13

Ok, so is this what I need ?

http://amzn.com/B004RCOY5O

The sizing looks wonky, but I am always confused on thread sizes. What I have now is a standard gauge, just like what is sold on TFP...and it FITS (well sort of)

So I have a 1/4" NPT male, so that means what I have above is wrong...and I need a 1/4 BSPT - 1/4 NPT, but low and behold I can't find one of those

14. Back To Top    #14

Here's one. It's a little expensive, but it's stainless steel.

Searching for 1/4 female npt to 1/4 male bspp should turn up more.

- - - Updated - - -

Here's a cheaper one from Zoro.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
    Here's one. It's a little expensive, but it's stainless steel.

Searching for 1/4 female npt to 1/4 male bspp should turn up more.

- - - Updated - - -

Here's a cheaper one from Zoro.
    I'd take the one from zoro. Jeez $24 for a stainless one!