GL235 Control Panel Issues

Apr 15, 2015
chandler AZ
Hello,

We have an inground pool with the GL235 Control panel. a few weeks back, the Check Sensor light started flashing. I replaced the sensor(one on the roof ofcourse) but that did not fix it(still blinked), so then saw there may have been a break in the wire, so replaced that. This stopped the Check Sensor from blinking. :), but created a new issue.

The Unit will not come on automatically. If I slide the switch to manual, the value opens and it works, but the auto with the temp dial at the highest, does nothing. The heat/cool lights don't even come on. Not sure what could be causing this.

The only thing I did notice is that the roof sensor was not connected into the pipe. This seemed strange but thought it was this way to get the outside temp, but not sure. We have had the unit for about 5 yrs with no issues, but late last year, we did have one of the collectors changed(Fafco) since it was leaking. I wonder if the technician forgot to drill the hole for the sensor.

Do you think this is why the automatic setting is not turning on? we live in AZ, so the daytime temp is really warm, and should start heating the water. Very Confused AZ

Welcome to TFP!

There are two sensors, water temperature and air temperature. The water sensor should be in the main plumbing in the area of the equipment pad, and the air sensor should be up on the roof with the solar panels.

You might have bumped or shorted the water temperature sensor while working on the air temperature sensor, or you might have used the wrong kind of replacement sensor.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

The roof sensor should NOT be touching the solar panels. It should be sitting out in the open to sense how much sun is hitting the panels.

Does that controller provide the temperature readings to you?

Hi, thanks for the reply

I did the temperature checks, and the Pool was showing around 12 and the solar was showing 7. I *think* with the difference, it should turned on automatically. When I do the manual, it turns on and the cool/heat lights come on, but with automatic, it does not seem to do anything.

I read some other post where there was an open ended question on the wiring. I did have a break in the wire somewhere, so I replaced it. I compared the resistance closer to the solar sensor and then by the box, and it was the same(around 7), so the new wire I replaced is not changing the resistance. Just to eliminate that variable, I ran a new wire(just over the ground to test), used thermostat wire since it seemed like a similar sized wire, and that made no difference.

I am stuck now on what else to try, or what I may have missed. Thanks!

If you can turn it on manually and your temp sensors are working then there is a programming issue. I used thermostat wire on mine and it worked fine. Not sure exactly how the Hayward works, but my Pentair Solartouch works like this.

Have to turn HEAT mode on, or automatic won't work
Have to have the HEAT and COOL mode temp difference enough apart to not conflict, maybe 2 or more degrees, I can't remember.
Have to set the temp differential between solar and pool to turn on, I think mine is 3 or 4 degrees
Once it reaches the temp differential it takes quite a few minutes to enable heating, open the valve and turn up the pump. Not sure how many minutes, but always more than it seems like it should take. But, every time I go out to check and solar temp is 100 (or whatever) and pool temp is 75 the solar is on.

Hope this helps.

- - - Updated - - -

And welcome to TFP. Here is some info on updating your signature, What we need to know to answer your questions

These are the numbers I had from the pool and solar sensors(I cannot remember which scale I had the meter set to).

I connected the meter to the wires by the control module(took them off the module to get an accurate reading), it showed the resistance on the pool sensor was higher(12) than the solar sensor(7). Live in AZ, so the weather was fine during the week when I tested it and think the number is probably a 1000's scale.

If I understand how these work, the lower the resistance, the higher the temperature, and with the pool sensor at 12 and Solar at 7, it should have triggered the valve to flip when in automatic position since I had the temperature dial set to max(100+).

I wanted to thank you all for your reply.

I was finally able to get this sorted out.

Initially this started with the Check Sensor light flashing. In trouble shooting that, we found that the wire for the Solar had broken so ran a new wire(thermostat) wire. While this fixed the Check Sensor light, the heat would never go on automatically even though the Check Sensor lights were off. Finally in running some more tests, it seems like the pool sensor was also bad(not sure if I shorted it out in trying to get this to work), based on the chart in the manual, it was reading 140 f, so even with the dial set at 104, it would never come on. We replaced the Pool sensor and surprise, surprise, it worked. I almost gave up and was going to replace the module, but it seemed ok since the manual option worked, and when I turned it on, the lights would flash for 5-10 seconds which seemed like it was going thru some "boot" sequence.

It's worth checking the ohms/volts of BOTH sensors to ensure they are within range for the module to work as designed

Anyhow, hope this helps. Thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.