Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Plumbing - what is this?

1. Back To Top    #1

Plumbing - what is this?

We are not the original owners of this pool, but have been caring for it successfully for about 9 years. We received a crash course from previous owners. 4 returns, no main drain, two skimmers.

We do not know what this spigot is or what happens if we turn it. We have bubbles in our return and are trying to determine where the air comes in the system at. This thing scares us. I can't remember why it is wrapped in electrical tape.

First picture is a closeup. Second shows its placement in the system.

Thanks in advance for any clues you can give me!
    24,000 gal: IG : Vinyl Liner : Sand Filter : SWG

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Plumbing - what is this?

Welcome to TFP!!!

I assume the 2 red valves are for each of the skimmers. The valve in question is a 3rd suction line, but no idea what it would be for ... too small to be used for a vacuum.

That valve could certainly be the source of the air being sucked into the system. Likely the tape was a poor attempt to stop that.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks! And thanks for the forum. We have struggled needlessly in the past. That's correct, the red valves correspond with our skimmers. A few pool guys have commented over the years about the lack of a main drain...would this line possibly be for adding that after the fact? If it is the source of the leak, would there be anything wrong with capping it?

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Is there actually a spigot on there? I dont see one. Might be a gate valve? Can't tell from photo's. Id go ahead and get it changed out.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Poolguy1 View Post
    Is there actually a spigot on there? I dont see one. Might be a gate valve? Can't tell from photo's. Id go ahead and get it changed out.
    Sure looks like a gate valve to me. I would unwrap the black tape or whatever covering it is and have a look.
    20X36 IG vinyl (18,000 gal), 3 sheer descents, Max-Flo 1.5hp VS 2300, Aquarite T15 SWG, C3030 filter, 250,000 BTU heater, Sharkvac XL (Hayward equip)

6. Back To Top    #6

No way that small pipe would have been for a floor drain.

I think I would try opening the valve and see what happens. But on the suction side, you may not be able to see anything happen.

Can you add a few pictures of the rest of the equipment and the pool?

Please add your pool details to your signature as described HERE as it will help us help you.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

Its small Enough to be a fill line? Not where I'd place it. However turn the system off and open the valve and see if you can hear water.

8. Back To Top    #8

Additional pictures and a few details added to my signature.

9. Back To Top    #9

I can not think of what it could be for. A fill line would be really odd to be plumbed like that.

Are there any fittings in the pool that do not seem to do anything? It could have previously been a pipe that was for a pressure side cleaner ... that was then re-plumbed into a suction line.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

10. Back To Top    #10

Well thats wierd. What could it be?
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

11. Back To Top    #11

How odd, but now it makes me very curious.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

12. Back To Top    #12

My guess is either a fill line, or an old pressure side cleaner line that someone tried to covert to a suction side cleaner line.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School