FNS Plus 60- small grid bending to fit and lower positioning grid fit

May 24, 2010
Dallas, TX
Just bought and installed a new set of grids for my FNS Plus 60. Two things that always bothered me that I finally got around to asking...

1- the small grid needs to be forced into a bended position to fit. Specifically, the upspout is in the position the small grid needs to be, so to make this thing fit, the upper half of the small grid is "out" towards the filter shell while the lower half is curved under a bit to fit into the lower positioning grid. Is this normal? It won't go in any other way- if there's any rotation of the grids, the top manifold will not go down on top of the elements (and still line up with the upspout).

2- the lower positioning grid is not sitting up on top of the "pegs" that are molded into the bottom half of the shell, if that makes sense. The underbody of the lower grid has "rails" that seems like they should align with the "pegs"- or I can rotate the lower grid a bit and it drops a little as the pegs are supporting the grid itself instead of the grid's rails. If it is in the upper position (rails sitting on the pegs), the manifold won't come down nearly enough on top of the upspout, so it seems like the only correct way is to have the lower gird "off the rails". Yes I'm overanalyzing this :) It fits how it fits- anybody else notice this?

Thanks!

1. Does not sound normal. My Hayward fits in just fine.
2. Honestly never paid attention, but I do not think there are any pegs in the bottom of the Hayward.

Maybe someone with a Pentair can chime in.

Agreeing on not sounding normal! Two pics of the install of a fresh set of grids (was tough to get a good vantage point):
20150415_144402_zps7yy1ivw8.jpg
20150415_145123_zpsptbpcqfq.jpg

The short grid is exactly in the spot called out for in the locator spider (so it's rotated all the way in). It won't assemble any other way; I assume it's like any other spider where there are narrow notches where the grid fits right in to and a "target" for the spine of the grid. And just re-read your comment so mine is pretty much the same with the notches. If the short grid was a little shorter it would be perfect. I just have to bend it "around" the bottom corner of the standpipe so that it can meet with the manifold at the top- it's bowed out at the center. The first picture above is before I bent the top back in to place.

I'm using a new Unicel replacement grid set but the OEM grid set was exactly the same.

When installing the grids on the bottom grid locator, the center spines line up with the round spots. The short grid spine lines up with the round spot that says short grid. The grid does not sit on the pegs, it goes between them.

Then, you put on the top manifold and secure the entire assembly with the nuts on the threaded rods. All grids should fit in the notches with no bending required. Then you lift the entire assembly into place.

So I've been assembling it with the lower grid already sitting in the bottom half of the filter, than popping in the gird elements, then fitting the manifold on top. If I assembled it outside of the filter shell, yes it would all line up no problem. At that point, it would need to bend to be placed in- with the manifold determining the relative position and angling of the grid elements vs. the standpipe.

I need to go back and tear it down and give it another shot- there really isn't any wiggle room to get this thing in there any other way...

Well, just to close this thread out, it did indeed work when assembling it outside, and dropping the whole assembly in. Not sure what the problem was- bad angle on the lower gird or what- but dropping the whole thing in did the trick- thanks!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well, just to close this thread out, it did indeed work when assembling it outside, and dropping the whole assembly in. Not sure what the problem was- bad angle on the lower gird or what- but dropping the whole thing in did the trick- thanks!

texasmax I could have written your posts word for word...I'm having the exact same issue....I've tried leaving the spider grid in the filter and assembling it out but so far I haven't gotten the manifold to sit right....I thought I had it good enough but de blew back into my pool so obviously manifold wasn't set right....ugh....did yours sit perfect just by assembling outside?

I hate to call anything "perfect", but it went in nicely. Cleaning and lubing the the port on the upper manifold that meets with the downpipe certainly helped. It's been a while but I'm swapping out to a spare set of grids this weekend and will post anything that comes up!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.