Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vacuum Pool, Dirt returns within a couple hours????

1. Back To Top    #1

Vacuum Pool, Dirt returns within a couple hours????

I have a Summer Escapes 14' x 42" with the skimmer attached to an Intex 2500gph pump with paper filter.

I vacuum the pool and a few hours later it looks like I haven't done anything. The dirt is very fine and I'm going real slow, no trees above pool just clear sky. The water testing is right and water is clear.

Any Ideas?????

Thanks,

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Vacuum Pool, Dirt returns within a couple hours????

You could mix up some diatomaceous earth and pour it into your skimmer and it will help your filter to filter out smaller particles by effectively clogging it up a bit. Only add a little at a time, as too much can reduce the flow. Although you've got plenty of pump for your size pool. I got some at Ace Hardware. Any pool store should care it too.

A better filter cartridge might help as well. I know some people here are recommending some alternatives to the Intex filters Sorry, but I don't recall the brand. I have a sand filter myself.
    25000 gallon free-form gunite
    Jandy Stealth pump/CL340 cartridge filter
    Pentair IC40 SWG
    Pentair MasterTemp 250HD heater
    Jandy AquaLink RS automation

3. Back To Top    #3

I know when I when I'm vacuuming my pool by hand I cant go to fast. If I do the dirt just moves around in the water and doesn't get sucked up. A few hours later it settles on the bottom again.
    44,000 gallon IG vinyl liner pool. 1.5 hp single speed motor on E Z flow pump/sand filter. Unknown age of pool, Kreepy krauly vacuum, Taylor K-2006 Test Kit.

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome to TFP!!!

The Intex cartridge filters leave a lot to be desired. One upgrade would be getting a Filbur/Pleatco/Unicel cartridge instead of the Intex disposable ones. See: http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...A-filter-again

A better upgrade would be getting one of the sand filters.

I do not think adding DE to your Intex cartridge is recommended.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Originally Posted by PhilGillis

First time pool owner. Have a 16x48" intex ultra frame, 1500 gph pump/A filter, and saltwater setup. Kept getting sediment collected on the bottom the pool. Stir it but it would just go through the hand skimmer. Was about to order a sand filter with bigger pump so I could vacuum also as my setup didnt come with filter vac and didn't think my 1500 pump would do it well. Anyway, put a white athletic sock over the return and just stirred up the pool getting the particles in the water versus on the pool bottom. The sock has totally removed all of the grit as I guess it was just going straight through the filter. I do keep filter clean and all that . . But just something as simple and cheap as a sock has the pool absolutely clean and hasn't interfered with chlorine production or any ill effect. Got the tip about the sock here . .so just wanted to say thanks. I still may upgrade to sand . . But it won't be to water/grit conditions. Unbelievable.
    Phil

This helped me years ago, give it a try!
    18x52 Ultra Frame with 1600 gph sand filter and intex skimmer

6. Back To Top    #6

I'll try the sock method first since I have a drawer full

Thanks everyone......

7. Back To Top    #7

Get a Unicel. Difference is night and day. I posted some pics of my Intex cart and the the Unicel after running a week. Intex was still white, Unicel was brown and full of dirt. Unicel is about $15 at Amazon and will last up to 5 years if cleaned properly.
    1) 7500 Gallon Free Form Gunite Pool / 800 Gallon Gunite Spa
    2) EasyTouch 8 Automation / IC20 Intellichlor
    3) Intelliflo VS Pump for pool and water features - Cartridge and DE Filter / 2 Speed Pentair Pump for Spa and Cartridge Filter

8. Back To Top    #8

Update,

I tried the sock "didn't Work"...........Unicel filter "didn't work".............vacuumed real slow "didn't work".........left the vacuum hooked up so that intake was from bottom of the pool "didn't work"........

Ordered a 5 micron sock that I will try...

Any other suggestions?

Thanks again

9. Back To Top    #9

Are we sure there is not a chemistry problem and not that it is passing through the filter?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

10. Back To Top    #10

Are you sure its dirt?

Wayne
    24'X54" Round 15,000 Gallon Pool
    Pentair SD-60 Sand Filter With 1.5HP Pump & Center Floor Drain
    Lil' Shark Vacuum With Leaf Canister
    New TFPC User And Couldn't Be Happier
    Pool School + Test Kit + Pool Math = A Perfect Trouble Free Pool

11. Back To Top    #11

It is real fine dirt and checking the water with the AquaChem strips the chemistry is right on. The bio-filter 5 micro sock will be delivered middle of the week. Going to put it on the discharge and try to filter the water.
    14' x 42" 3300 gallon Summer Escape AG pool, Intex 2500 gph pump with Unicel cartridge, Taylor K-2006 with FAS-DPD

12. Back To Top    #12

Test strips are worthless that that does not tell us anything. If you truly want to take control of your pool then you need to invest in one of the Recommended Test Kits.

Dirt is gritty, can you feel it?

I am almost willing to bet that your FC level is too low for your CYA level and what you are seeing is actually algae.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

13. Back To Top    #13

I had this problem also, could never ever get the dirt off bottom, it use to take me 3-4 hours, (with cartridge) and just go super freaking slow. Well that all changed when we upgraded to a sand filter, new learning curve but the difference is night and day. pool has never been cleaner, and only takes about 30-50 minutes, every 7 days. I am so happy we upgraded
    16 'x 48" Metal Frame Intex 5065 gallons, 14 Inch sand filter,Hayward Skimmer SP1091LX Dynaskim, Test Kit TF-100

14. Back To Top    #14

Just say no to strips.

Drops or nothing.

Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

15. Back To Top    #15

pump.jpg

Used a pump trap after the pump with a 5 micron filter in the basket, no more fine dirt.

- - - Updated - - -

here is what I have done so far.

pool.jpg
    14' x 42" 3300 gallon Summer Escape AG pool, Intex 2500 gph pump with Unicel cartridge, Taylor K-2006 with FAS-DPD

16. Back To Top    #16

hey, that looks like a party! Key West, too. woohoo!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

17. Back To Top    #17

Switching to a sand filter is really the way to go. I can tell you that I am super anal about dirt in the pool and would drive myself absolutely crazy trying to keep it clean. The other thing that really helped was adding some water clarifier which helps all the tiny particles clump together so they can be vacuumed. I still get sediment on the pool floor but my pool is under two really annoying trees. I also notice an increase in sediment after the pool has been shocked, but once I vacuum (which I do about every other day) it disappears.
    20x45 in-ground 42k pool and spa built in 1989. Just moved into this home and am still in the learning phase of understanding equipment

18. Back To Top    #18

I think you put a band-aid on it and your chemistry is likely not correct.

You ditch the strips and get a real test kit yet?
    Jason, TFP Moderator

19. Back To Top    #19

Quote Originally Posted by JenniferW View Post
    Switching to a sand filter is really the way to go. I can tell you that I am super anal about dirt in the pool and would drive myself absolutely crazy trying to keep it clean. The other thing that really helped was adding some water clarifier which helps all the tiny particles clump together so they can be vacuumed. I still get sediment on the pool floor but my pool is under two really annoying trees. I also notice an increase in sediment after the pool has been shocked, but once I vacuum (which I do about every other day) it disappears.
    With TFPC, there is no reason to use clarifier. The only time a SLAM occurs is if there is presence of CC or the water turns due to forgetting to add chlorine.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

20. Back To Top    #20

Ok, I have the Taylor kit and slammed the pool, here are my numbers CYA 40, FC 8, CC .5, PH 7.6, TA 70, CH 90. I did the overnight test and it lost 1.5 of FC and CC went to zero. Is 1.5 lost too much overnight? Should I slamm for a little longer?

Thanks for all the help

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast