Can't Get the Chlorine Levels Up

Apr 13, 2015
Millersburg, OH
I'm a new (well...new to me) pool owner. I have been adding liquid bleach (8.25%) to my pool for the last 4 days. So far I have added around 20 gallons of bleach and cannot seem to get the chlorine up to shock level (shooting for 10). The water clarity has definitely improved, but I can't get the levels up. Maybe this is not unusual, but 20 gallons seems like a lot of bleach to me. I am using a K-2006 test kit. Yesterday I was able to get the level up to 6, but by this morning it was down to 3 again. Any advice?

Okay, here's what I come up with:
FC: 6
CC: 1
CYA: 0 (which I know is strange from reading other posts...this is an 8 year old pool)
TA: 140
CH: 290
PH: 7 (it was 7.2 when I started the process)

Yes, I am trying to follow the SLAM process. Also, I have an electronic cover on the pool so it does not get much direct sunlight. The water is much clearer than when I started but it is still a little green in the deep end.

With 0 CYA, the sun will destroy all your FC in less than a day.

Is the test completely clear or is there any cloudiness to it?
I would raise the CYA up to around 30ppm and then continue the SLAM process.

Put it in a sock and place it in your skimmer. Squeeze it fairly often if you can to speed up the dissolving.
Assume your CYA is at your target and SLAM accordingly.
After a week, test and confirm the CYA level.

I think I would add 25-30ppm of CYA. Even if you have some in there already, at worst you would be up around 50ppm which is still within acceptable range.

How much CYA did you buy? If it is 4 pounds, that would add about 24ppm which might be almost enough to get a reading on the test.

I used up my 4 pounds of CYA and bought some more. The water is cloudy now when I test for it, but it's still less than 30. I added some more this morning. The pool is still devouring bleach like mad. I poured 4 gallons more in last night and my reading this morning was 1ppm. There keeps being a lot of dirt on the bottom and I keep vacuuming. It has not been very sunny here lately and I have a retractable cover that I keep on it all the time, so I can only conclude that the pool must have been filthy. I don't think the former owners used it much last year and it appears they didn't maintain it very well. The water has cleared up dramatically so I keep thinking I'm getting close, but then I go out and check the FC and get a 1! :(

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Do not add more Cya. It takes a while to register.

Clearing a nasty pool does devour Chlorine, so this is normal. Keep hammering it, don't let the FC fall below SLAM values.

How much more Cya did you put in?

You did well.

That ought to stick you right around 40 CYA. Perfect. Don't worry about testing it again until late next week. Assume it is there.

Increase and maintain your FC for 40 Cya as per the chart. Do your level best to keep it as close to there as possible. Be relentless in that, and things will go your way. Keep us updated, and good work! :goodjob:

Just wanted to post a quick update. I have a happy ending. I finally got my chlorine up to shock level and now it has stabilized. I appreciate your help...I just needed a little hand-holding (and a good dose of patience). Here are my current levels:
CYA 35
FC 3
CC .5
TA 125
CH 375
PH 7

I just added a couple of boxes of Borax to try to get the PH levels up a little bit. I've already put in 2 boxes a couple of weeks ago but they didn't seem to budge it much. Anything else I need to worry about or am I all set? I believe it eventually took around 50 gallons of bleach to get it up to shock level. I thought I was going to have to buy stock in Clorox! I don't think there is much I can do about the water hardness. We have a well and the water is very hard even with a softener. Thanks again, you guys are great!

Good job working through that! Nice!

Keep working to get your ph up above 7.2. 7 is the bottom of the range so it could be lower than that. Remember that ph test need to be done with FC below 10.

You should have gotten the truckload discount on bleach! LOL

These three criteria?

You are done when:
CC is 0.5 or lower
You pass an OCLT (ie*overnight FC loss test*shows a loss of 1.0 ppm or less)
And the water is clear.
When all three are true, you are done SLAMing and can allow the FC to drift down to normal levels.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.