Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Low CH

1. Back To Top    #1

Low CH

Newbie on the block. Stumbled onto TFP site while researching (wanting to understand) how to maintain my own pool. Anyhow, let me just dive into it.

Here is my testing results as of this morning

FCL 4.76
    TCL 4.76
    PH 7.7
    ALK 82
    CH 86
    CYA 64

Three weeks ago my CH was at 56. Since then I've been adding "calcium increaser" (approx. a total of 65 pounds to date). According to the label I should be well within my CH range. What am I dong wrong?

PS. I hope this is the correct forum to post my question. I've been learning a lot from the website and a lot more to lean. Thank you for all the info.
    17k IG, SWG, Pebbletec surface, Intellichlor IC20, Pentair FNSP60 (DE), Waterway SMF 1.5hp pump, MX-8 pool cleaner, LaMotte Color Q Pro 7-Plus

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Low CH

Welcome to TFP!!!

Unfortunately the thing you might be doing wrong is trusting that electronic tester. We tend to not trust them and prefer these Recommended Test Kits.

Using PoolMath, 65 pounds of calcium chloride should have added 413ppm of CH. So clearly your test is not accurate.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome To TFP Robo,

I was going to say the same but JB beat me to it. I'm afraid of testing error here as well. That amount of Calcium Chloride ( assuming the product) would have you way higher than 65. One of the suggested kits will be dependable. I would not under any circumstances add more Calcium until you get a better reading.

Perhaps it's different where you are but Low CH isn't usually an issue in CA. Not that I recall your area, so I may be wrong about that. Hopefully I am.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome to TFP. Here are some handy links for your future reference.

ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry
    Water Balance for SWCGs
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

Welcome!

I'm astonished that your CH is so low. The water out here tends to be very hard. You're not filling it from a water softener, are you?

Those numbers look suspiciously like they're from an electronic tester and/or the pool store. I wouldn't trust either one, myself. Take a sample to a pool store that uses drop testing and see what they come up with.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

Just regular water from the tap. Yes, I'm questioning my electronic tester also. I just ordered a TF100 test kit last week, but haven't got it yet. Thanks everyone. I'll post my results once the new kit comes in.
    17k IG, SWG, Pebbletec surface, Intellichlor IC20, Pentair FNSP60 (DE), Waterway SMF 1.5hp pump, MX-8 pool cleaner, LaMotte Color Q Pro 7-Plus

7. Back To Top    #7

Too late now, but there is a TF100 seller in CA. Depending on the day you ordered, it ought to be there pretty soon.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

8. Back To Top    #8

Ya I bet your CH is much much higher.

I did some water replacement recently and only needed 45lbs to get it from 60 to 300
    and we have the same water volume.

I'd guess yours might actually now be in the neighborhood of around 375-425ppm.
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Raypak PR266AEN (266k btu) gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.
    Dolphin E10 Cleaning Robot.

9. Back To Top    #9

Received my new TF-100 test kits yesterday. Here are my results.

FC 4.5
    CC .5
    CH 1450
    TA 100
    CYA 52
    Salt 4200

I tested the CH twice to make sure I get the same reading (1500 for second testing). According to pool math I need to dump 76% of the pool water. There goes water conservation in So. Cal.

10. Back To Top    #10

Or see if Reverse Osmosis is available in your area ... although that may cost more than replacing the water.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!