Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Houston Pool Builder Suggestions?

1. Back To Top    #1

Lightbulb Houston Pool Builder Suggestions?

Split from original topic Here
    Moderator Patrick B

Sunbaby,

Thanks for posting this topic. I am actually in the process of researching PBers in Houston trying to narrow the list to 5 or 6 that I will talk to. Anyone care to give POSITIVE comments on any of these builders? (If it's a negative please send me a private message). Moderators--Is okay to post this here? Please add a great builder that you recommend in Houston.

Richard's Total Backyard Solutions
    Laguna Pools
    Grand Isle Pools
    Backyard Ammenities
    Horizon Pools
    Pineloch Pools Construction

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Houston Pool Builder Suggestions?

I'm currently having my pool built by Reality Pools

So far so good. They built one previously for a friend and all was well (one of the reasons I chose them).

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks Erik. I'll add them to my research list.

4. Back To Top    #4

Cypress custom pools. Currently in a pool build with them. First class in everything thus far. We are about 80% done and couldn't be happier.
    18k gallon IG gunite/pebblesheen with 3ton moss rock waterfall, 8 ft 12" raised wall & rock accents , 42sq ft 12" raised spa w/ 6 jets & cascading stacked stone waterfall, 3HP Intellifo VS pump,
    420sq ft Pentair cartridge filter, 400,000 BTU Pentair Gas Heater, 1.5HP Whisperflo water feature pump, 1.5HP Silencer Spa Blower, 3 intellibrite lights, EZTouch System 8

5. Back To Top    #5

My pool is done by Backyard Amenities. My parents pool was built by then 15 years ago as well. You can see mine from my build thread in my sig.

Don't know where you are in league city.
    ~Paul
    19x40 IG including 10' BE, 18,000 gal, plaster, 48 SF DE, 1.5HP pump, AquaPure SWCG, Ozonejoe 30MR, Rockwaterfall, LED light, TF-100 Fill date 11/21/2014
    My ODK Build | My Pool Build | If You're From Texas Vote Here

6. Back To Top    #6

Good luck in your search Flounder. There will be others from Houston check in here I'm sure. Plenty of builds show up from down that way...lots.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

7. Back To Top    #7

I went by and talked to Anthony&Sylvan Pools today. I hadn't really considered them in my Top 10 list, but their office is right across the street from my house and I knew they were the biggest pool builder in the country so I figured I'd drop in.

The guy had a great spiel to pull me. Here are the highlights:

- Says they have the best warranty of anybody out there. He had a print out of all the competition's warranty info and why A&S has a better one. It was a compelling argument. It was also a little scary when he showed me the deficiencies of the warranties offered by all 5 of my current top 5 PBs. Good salesman or should I be worried?
    - He only does chlorine pools. If a customer demands SWG then he makes them sign a waiver that voids the warranty on the pool and equipment. Eek! I had pretty much set my heart on SWG. What's up with this?

This is basically the first PB I've talked to and it was really just for me to get my feet wet prior to interviewing my top 5. But it has me thinking. Anyone have thoughts?

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Flounder32 View Post
    I went by and talked to Anthony&Sylvan Pools today. I hadn't really considered them in my Top 10 list, but their office is right across the street from my house and I knew they were the biggest pool builder in the country so I figured I'd drop in.

The guy had a great spiel to pull me. Here are the highlights:

- Says they have the best warranty of anybody out there. He had a print out of all the competition's warranty info and why A&S has a better one. It was a compelling argument. It was also a little scary when he showed me the deficiencies of the warranties offered by all 5 of my current top 5 PBs. Good salesman or should I be worried?
    - He only does chlorine pools. If a customer demands SWG then he makes them sign a waiver that voids the warranty on the pool and equipment. Eek! I had pretty much set my heart on SWG. What's up with this?

This is basically the first PB I've talked to and it was really just for me to get my feet wet prior to interviewing my top 5. But it has me thinking. Anyone have thoughts?
    Compare warranties between the others you interview to see if his salesmanship pitch holds water.

Tell him if he only does chlorine pools than a SWG should not be a problem How long of a warranty does he offer on the equipment? I don't see how a SWG should void a warranty on the other equipment!
    IG gunite 32 x 18 on a bachelor budget! Click Here To See

9. Back To Top    #9

I sent you a PM.
    ~Paul
    19x40 IG including 10' BE, 18,000 gal, plaster, 48 SF DE, 1.5HP pump, AquaPure SWCG, Ozonejoe 30MR, Rockwaterfall, LED light, TF-100 Fill date 11/21/2014

10. Back To Top    #10

Thanks Jabooh,

Warranty voids with SWG are very common. Not going to argue the validity of such, but many void various things on a pool build if you go that route.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

11. Back To Top    #11

Patrick, did I send a PM to you? I meant to send to Flounder.
    ~Paul

12. Back To Top    #12

A&S did the same with us by talking down the competitors more than anything.

I heard when A&S merged there was horrendous warranty issues, and there still are even after they talked up their warranty.

We went with Precision out of Richmond. Not pushy, did what we asked and pleasant sales process. Most builders use the same contractors so the labor & material of most are identical. Good luck to you!

19K gallon free-formed w/ 60% Color Quartz plaster
    3.5' x 5.5' x 4' depths - 15' x 20' 15' widths - 12" oval raised spa with spillover
    Hayward 1.85 hp TriStar VS Pool & 1.25 hp water feature pump - Cartridge Filter
    Hayward OnCommand automation system - 400K BTU heater - LED lights for pool & spa
    20' weeping moss rock wall - 5' x 8' tanning ledge with bubbler

13. Back To Top    #13

I wouldn't go with AS. Some good friends of ours used them (the League City one) and were not happy at all.

I interviewed Precision. They were on my short list.
    ~Paul

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick_B View Post
    Thanks Jabooh,

Warranty voids with SWG are very common. Not going to argue the validity of such, but many void various things on a pool build if you go that route.
    Thanks y'all for the advice.

Patrick -- That's interesting that you mention that. I guess I didn't know that it was a common practice. Browsing this site it seems like a majority of people have been choosing SWG, or at least that what it seems to me. And I guess then that most do not have a problem with the possibility of some warrant voids.

This is a very interesting topic for me because I am right now at the point of deciding which way to go.

15. Back To Top    #15

TFP Guide

I felt I needed to take a shower after meeting with an unnamed builder for a quote. Chose a different route. But they did give us a price on the spot which was convenient.
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

16. Back To Top    #16

I know SWGs are hugely popular in this forum so people must be happy with them, but we would never put one in and know of someone who built their pool that way and converted it due to all the issues.
    IG ~12000 gallon 1988 freeform pool with IG spa, Hayward equip, Ecostar pump. Remodel done: NPT Arctic 1x2 tile in Lagoon w/ gray thinset & Light Pewter grout, French Gray PebbleSheen w/ grey fittings, Leuders buff eased edge limestone coping w/ Light Buff mortar, buff mastic

17. Back To Top    #17

Having talked with multiple pool builders my wife and I are leaning away from SWG. But we haven't even found a builder yet so everything is still on the table.

Here is our final list and any opinions are more than welcome:

(Pool and Patio/Kitchen) Richard's Total Backyard Solutions
    (Pool Only) Laguna Pools
    (Pool Only) Backyard Amenities
    (Pool and Patio/Kitchen) Horizon Pools
    (Patio/Kitchen only) Outdoor Homescapes

Any extra opinions are definitely welcome! Thanks!

18. Back To Top    #18

We went with Premier pools last year. See thread below for build. Premier offered the most bank for the buck. i.e. water features, equip, travertine coping etc. were standard. We interviewed about 5 other PB in the area.
    Completed 38'X21' IG Free form pool approx 18.5K gallons, sports pool w/spa and tanning shelf 3.5-5.5 ft. Jandy Cartridge Filter, Jandy stealth pumps, Jandy LXi Heater, I aqualink, Inline chlorinator. Click to see My Pool Build

19. Back To Top    #19

Thanks rodog. I will check them out.

Interviews start today! But if anyone has suggestions or comments on these builders I'm all ears.