Unsure of time for SLAM

Apr 13, 2015
Round Rock, TX
I started SLAMing last Thursday. I had readings of
CYA - 45, which seems reasonable as I brought it down from 60 with a partial drain
PH - 7.5

With yellowish water( no real algae growth, just leaves/pollen)

I've been maintaining FC around 18 for the past 6 days.
First night FC dropped from 26.5(which was probably high due to only waiting 30 mins after adding 5+ just of bleach) down to 10

Second night, dropped from 18 down to 13.5
Third night dropped from unknown(wasn't around from afternoon on) to 13
Fourth night dropped from 18 down to 17
Fifth night dropped from 18 down to 17.5
Sixth night dropped from 18.5 down to 14

The water hasn't cleared much at all over that time. It feels with last night that the process has gone backwards, i.e. larger chlorine loss overnight.

The pressure hasn't changed much on my cartridge filter over the process, as I had just cleaned it and there isn't much, if any debris in the pool.

Should I clean out the cartridges on my filter again? Should I just wait a few more days? Any help would be appreciated!

Welcome to TFP!

You should see some improvement in the water's appearance, even if very slight. As long as you do, keep up as you have been going. However, if the water doesn't improve at all from day to day then it is time to look into possible problems with the filter.

I've been adding chlorine approx three times a day, morning, afternoon, and night.
I've been brushing every time I add chlorine, but given the yellow water, it's hard to see if I get it all.

I decided to go ahead and clean the filter, and it was fairly dirty. I'm now filtering just the hottub to see if that water clears up. That usually only takes an hour or so when I clean the filter. If that looks clearer, I'll set it back to full pool and give it another couple of days.

It's very hard to judge in this area, because there is tons of pollen in the air, and every rain brings all of it into my pool.

FC went from 19 yesterday at 5:00, to 12.5 this morning.
Added chlorine to move it back up to 18.

Should I assume my CYA level is higher than I think? Keep the FC higher for a few days? It looks like something in the pool keeps using the chlorine up every night, but not dying.

Welcome to the forum mmedulan :wave:

Are you testing the CYA yourself, outside ?? What kit are you using ??

If you have a light and ladder those are two good areas to check as are the back of the skimmer weir doors and inside the skimmers for anything green.

With CYA of 45 you should be keeping FC at 18-20. That chlorine is being consumed is good and that is the goal. Stuff is definitely being killed if chlorine is being consumed. That is how it is supposed to work. Keep rolling.

I'm testing the CYA myself with the TFT100 kit. I've already gone through the entire chlorine powder with a week of SLAM, so I'll probably run out before the refill order gets to me. Then I guess I'll have to keep adding blindly for a few days.

I think when I checked this afternoon, I'm finally starting to see a difference. The bottom can be made out just a bit clearer I think. Of course we're supposed to get a bunch of storms in the next couple of days which will kill us with pollen again!
I'm going to keep the FC a little higher, around 20, to try and kill everything that falls in there.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.