Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Unsure of time for SLAM

1. Back To Top    #1

Unsure of time for SLAM

I started SLAMing last Thursday. I had readings of
    CYA - 45, which seems reasonable as I brought it down from 60 with a partial drain
    PH - 7.5

With yellowish water( no real algae growth, just leaves/pollen)

I've been maintaining FC around 18 for the past 6 days.
    First night FC dropped from 26.5(which was probably high due to only waiting 30 mins after adding 5+ just of bleach) down to 10

Second night, dropped from 18 down to 13.5
    Third night dropped from unknown(wasn't around from afternoon on) to 13
    Fourth night dropped from 18 down to 17
    Fifth night dropped from 18 down to 17.5
    Sixth night dropped from 18.5 down to 14

The water hasn't cleared much at all over that time. It feels with last night that the process has gone backwards, i.e. larger chlorine loss overnight.

The pressure hasn't changed much on my cartridge filter over the process, as I had just cleaned it and there isn't much, if any debris in the pool.

Should I clean out the cartridges on my filter again? Should I just wait a few more days? Any help would be appreciated!
    12,350 gallon IG plaster pool
    Hayward cartridge Swimclear 4025 filter
    Hayward Super II 2.5 Hp pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Unsure of time for SLAM

Welcome to TFP!

You should see some improvement in the water's appearance, even if very slight. As long as you do, keep up as you have been going. However, if the water doesn't improve at all from day to day then it is time to look into possible problems with the filter.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome

Are you adding chlorine once a day or more?

Are you brushing at least once a day?

Any light fixtures or hidden areas around ladders that could be hiding something?
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

4. Back To Top    #4

I've been adding chlorine approx three times a day, morning, afternoon, and night.
    I've been brushing every time I add chlorine, but given the yellow water, it's hard to see if I get it all.

I decided to go ahead and clean the filter, and it was fairly dirty. I'm now filtering just the hottub to see if that water clears up. That usually only takes an hour or so when I clean the filter. If that looks clearer, I'll set it back to full pool and give it another couple of days.

It's very hard to judge in this area, because there is tons of pollen in the air, and every rain brings all of it into my pool.

5. Back To Top    #5

FC went from 19 yesterday at 5:00, to 12.5 this morning.
    Added chlorine to move it back up to 18.

Should I assume my CYA level is higher than I think? Keep the FC higher for a few days? It looks like something in the pool keeps using the chlorine up every night, but not dying.

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

Welcome to the forum mmedulan

Are you testing the CYA yourself, outside ?? What kit are you using ??

If you have a light and ladder those are two good areas to check as are the back of the skimmer weir doors and inside the skimmers for anything green.
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ? too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

With CYA of 45 you should be keeping FC at 18-20. That chlorine is being consumed is good and that is the goal. Stuff is definitely being killed if chlorine is being consumed. That is how it is supposed to work. Keep rolling.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

8. Back To Top    #8

I'm testing the CYA myself with the TFT100 kit. I've already gone through the entire chlorine powder with a week of SLAM, so I'll probably run out before the refill order gets to me. Then I guess I'll have to keep adding blindly for a few days.

9. Back To Top    #9

I think when I checked this afternoon, I'm finally starting to see a difference. The bottom can be made out just a bit clearer I think. Of course we're supposed to get a bunch of storms in the next couple of days which will kill us with pollen again!
    I'm going to keep the FC a little higher, around 20, to try and kill everything that falls in there.

10. Back To Top    #10

Starting to actually clear up now. I can see any little debris on the floor as I clean it up. I think raising the FC to 20+ has helped in the last day and a half. Hopefully I'll be swimming early next week!
    Thanks!

-M

11. Back To Top    #11

Alright! That is good news!
    TFP Moderator
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

12. Back To Top    #12

Just wanted to say you aren't alone. I've been slamming for 17 days and still have something eating up the FC.
    Sand filter
    Salt Generator
    25000 gallon IG Vinyl

13. Back To Top    #13

I think that if it's not cleaning up in the first 5 days, that a bump of a couple of FC points is probably a good idea. My water is now a shade of blueish green, rather than greenish yellow.
    Hopefully should be sparkling in a few days!

14. Back To Top    #14

I would agree, it's what I would do and not letting it drop below shock/SLAM level is vital. Doing so causes it to drag and drag.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

15. Back To Top    #15

I'm thinking that I am finished with the SLAM process. The water is clear, and I've passed the OCLT and CC tests.
    I'm going to bring down the chlorine over the next few days, as well as limit the filter time.

Thanks for the support!

-M

16. Back To Top    #16

Woohoo!! Another TFPC success story! Congrats.
    TFP Moderator