Considering Hard Plumbing lines to Pool : Some Questions

Apr 3, 2008
Hi everyone,

So I've recently been considering hard plumbing our pool lines to utilize the beneftis of placing some valves at the skimmer and return as well as the advantages of using Unions to quicky attach/detach the lines. I'm in the beginning phases of looking at what parts I'd need to do it and I'll throw my first question down here. I'd need to plumb 3 separate connections:

Segments
------------------------

1. Skimmer to Pump
2. Pump to Sand Filter
3. Sand Filter Back to Return

The part so far that has me boggled is finding the right starting PVC fitting/piece to use on both the return and the skimmers. I currently have a skimmer right now that has (what i believe to be a standard threaded) pool adapter coming out of the bottom of it :

hydrotoolsadapter_5649.jpg

That pool adapter allows me to currently put flexible hoses on it using pool hose clamps. But in going to a hard plumbed solution, maybe that piece is no longer needed. With that said :

For building Segment 1 (Skimmer to Pump), I'm assuming I need to remove that pool adapter. I would like Segment 1 to be something like :

Skimmer : <what should go here> : Union w/ Ball Valve : Some PVC Pipe : Union : Pump​

It's that first piece after the skimmer that has me stumped.
Question : What kinda of PVC piece do i need to go between the skimmer and Union (shown in a link below)

Here is the Union w/ Ball Valve I was going to use :

71yMsqnhI5L._SL1500_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Hayward-QTA10...42476&sr=8-1-fkmr1&keywords=union+valve+funko

I hope I've done a good enough job of trying to present this as visual as possible.

And thanks ahead of time for looking at this ,

Scott

Start by removing the hose adapter that is currently connected and measuring the diameter of the threaded section to be sure you are getting a correctly sized part to put there. Then replace it with a male threaded to slip adapter, followed by a short piece of PVC pipe, followed by the ball valve, followed by more pipe headed towards the pump.

Hopefully the situation with the return fitting will be similar.

Thanks Jason,

That was about the only thing I could think of to do (but was doubting myself if another kind of fitting existed, guessing not). Will definitely get going on try that. Thank you. -Scott

You got an answer for the "what should go here"

Skimmer : <what should go here> : Union w/ Ball Valve : Some PVC Pipe : Union : Pump

Why do you want two unions though? Unless you are burying the lines, you should not need them - and even if you are burying them, you really don't need them either. How often are you going to want to remove the lines from near the skimmer and return? I leave mine connected year round, and just have unions near my pump / filter. If I had to replace my skmmer I could always cut the pipe there if I had to (I could probably get the skimmer off without cutting it if I really tried). Other than that, I see no need for a union by the skimmer and return. I do zip tie a cap made of hardware cloth over the end of the lines in the off season, just to prevent any critters from making a nest in the lines.

-dave

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.