Centerville, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Truclear / Ei
The hubs & I have been in deep conversation about how much "use" we will be getting out of the actual pool each year. We are in Houston & with my AGP we swam pretty much May-Oct. that's about a 6 month swim season. We were both shocked that it wasn't longer (we never really thought about it before).

Thought it would be interesting to hear what everyone's swim season is in the different parts of the country. I know it depends on what water temperature you can tolerate and the weather each year, I'm just thinking generally.

If you have a heated pool :cool: I'm jealous, I'm hoping that maybe I can extend my swim season a little and for special events, with the heater, but NO way we can heat it year round. I'm pretty sure after the first time the hubs sees the propane bill after trying to warm the pool - I'll be banned. :rolleyes: it happens.

Pretty standard, but we are warm weather people. We had our last on October 25 last year I think. We had to heat the pool for that, but it was one of those Indian Summer type weekends. Down there, you ought to get a few more than us. We really are wimpy though, as we prefer 85+ degree water.

Swim season for me is the same as yours.

I do however use the pool in late March thru April quite often for purposes of cooling off from all the yard work I do. Even with moderate temps I can work up a good sweat and there is no better way to cool off then jump immediately into the pool! I've been in a dozen or more times already this year, but still a bit chilly to stay in more than a minute!

First year with a pool. Me and the kiddos have been in since mid-March when water temps hit about 75. Water temps are now approaching 80 and we've been in every weekend since beginning of April. Hope to be swimming until October! I must admit though, my wife won't get in until she's had a couple of glasses of vino. Still a tad cool for her.

We're wimpy about water temp too, 85 required min and 87 preferred. I do the Divin Dave Plunge after yard work occasionally above 80, but it has to be DANG HOT!

We are May to Oct for the most part. Our pool has a fair amount of shade so we had to add solar panels to keep the temp up. Solar panels are great for help recovering from rain. Nothing makes a pool cold faster than rain, even in August. Our solar panels can add 3-4 degree gains over 24 hours when the sun is out.

edit: 3-4 degree gains are this time of year. Our solar can add 8-10 degrees in less than a day when the sun is blazing in June-August time period

I'm in NE Georgia. Last year was our first year. Got the AGP in June and swam until early October. Opened the pool in March of this year. Kids went for a quick swim this past weekend (water was 70, air was 74). Rainy this week but if we could get a little sun this weekend the water temp might get up to 72 and I might jump in then.

Last edited:
I definitely think we are in the wimpy water temp category. I don't remember what the water temp was when we would get in - I was ALWAYS the first in the pool and the last out - and I remember laying on a float and thinking how hard it was going to be to put my legs back in the pool to get out! But the sun was so nice and the pool drinks made it that much better!

I wonder if inground pools stay warmer longer than above ground? I would think they wouldn't be affected as quickly - so much more water and being insulated by the earth?? But does that mean it takes longer to warm up in the Spring?

We have had SO much rain this year - (I JUST took our AGP down - 2 weeks ago) and after a rain about a month ago - it was so cold to reach in and pull the cleaner out . . . SO COLD. I have a funny video of my nephew jumping in to patch the pool a couple months back after he hit it with the weed-eater and caused a leak - - - I need to see how to post a link to the video. SO FUNNY!

Our swimming season is usually about early May through mid-September. My kids are in the pool as soon as it hits high 60s and most of the summer last year the pool was high 70s. Hoping the solar cover helps keep it a bit warmer on average this year. I only ran the heater twice for parties. Can't stomach the gas bill otherwise.

My pool season is late May (if I'm lucky) to mid Sept. Non-heated. I can swim at temp down to 75 but prefer 82 as ideal. Over 87 feels like bathwater. My temp is currently 60 after 2" of rain yesterday...I have a long way to go.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Swim season for me is May 1 through mid-October. I have dared a few April swims but they are very short lived. Took the heater to the dump after seeing it drain a 500 gallon buried propane tank in three days. Two cold nights and I watched my money evaporate into the atmosphere. Hooked up a 17kW Generac home generator to the tank instead so I can have power during our snow storms. Wife unit won't dip a toe in until mid-June.

Using a cover can have a pretty large effect on retaining the heat in the water in the spring and fall.

I know one member here is Tucson had the water over 90 degrees over a month ago due to a large solar array and the use of a cover.

Sunbaby,

Since your in texas, and have the land, why dont you set aside space for some solar panels. They may help heat the pool up on those cooler spring and fall days, and add a few weeks to your season.

I'm in northern virginia, we usually swim from mid may to mid to late sept...depending on weather. If its nice weather late september I'll heat the pool for the weekend.

Just opened last week because of some warm weather in Illinois, heated up to 80 degrees and had a pretty fun weekend. Should be in the 80s this week, but raining, oh well, it will give me a free water top off... Last year I was open till first week in October, but did not really get in too much those last couple weeks.

This is our first year with a pool and our climate is cool, but ever the optimist we opened the pool mid-March and started running the pump and heat exchanger and we were having our first ever swim on 31st March. It was chilly at 16 degrees C but has now warmed up to about 25 degrees - which is far more comfortable! We are hoping to be using it until October all being well :D

We open the first week of May and close the pool last week of September. We keep the hot tub going until after Thanksgiving and then winterize once the temps drop below freezing constantly.

Out pool hit 80 degrees on St Pats and we christened the season, but our spring has been unusually cool so the pool has been wrestling to stay above 78 since then. We are wimpy when it comes to cold too, hence living so far south. Our normal season is March through October. The solar blanket helps at both ends of the season.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.