Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool Opening in Illinois-New Test Kit Needed?

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool Opening in Illinois-New Test Kit Needed?

I have a TF-100 test kit that is going on its second season. I'm nearly out of CYA reagent and when I used it today it never registered any CYA at all. Seems strange given that I ended the season around 90 doesn't it? Is the reagent bad perhaps? While we're at it, do I need to replace all of the chemicals in the test kit? I still have quite a bit left to get me through this year. . .
    40,000 gallons (20' x 40'); IG; vinyl liner
    sand filter
    BBB method for 2 full seasons
    tf100 test kit
    central Illinois

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool Opening in Illinois-New Test Kit Needed?

As long as it was stored properly, it should be good. What are your other results?
    27' AG 18K Gallons ~ Cartridge Filter ~ Pentair 1.5 HP Pump

3. Back To Top    #3

How was it stored? Should be fine. The CYA is the most stable reagent, so sounds like your CYA is now zero, could have been converted to ammonia.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Disappearing CYA (most always over the winter) is something that we seem to document more and more often on this forum. Not that the incidence has increased, we just weren't as aware of it as we are now. It also seemed to be related to pools that had gotten really dirty over the winter but I am less sure of that than I was a couple of years ago. What condition was your pool water in when you opened?

I am pretty sure the reagent is good. It is really stable (as JB says) and not subject to degradation like some of the others are.

Why was your CYA @ 90 last year?

- - - Updated - - -

Disappearing CYA (most always over the winter) is something that we seem to document more and more often on this forum. Not that the incidence has increased, we just weren't as aware of it as we are now. It also seemed to be related to pools that had gotten really dirty over the winter but I am less sure of that than I was a couple of years ago. What condition was your pool water in when you opened?

I am pretty sure the reagent is good. It is really stable (as JB says) and not subject to degradation like some of the others are.

Why was your CYA @ 90 last year?

On 5/14/2014, you wrote....
    I removed approximately 50% of my pool water and replaced with well water (unfortunately). My new numbers are as follows:
    CYA=50
    TA=270
    PH=7.6
    CH=260
    TC and FC were at 0 but I've since begun...
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Maybe this Ohio Ammonia monster isn't as bad as it seems because it is cheaper to cure than replacing your water to lower CYA. Get an Ammonia test kit at the pet store.
    20x40 30k gal vinyl, Inline Tri-Chlor Chlorinator, Hayward 250K btu heater, Hayward 2HP Super Pump, Hayward DE6020 Filter,

6. Back To Top    #6

good catch. my last CYA was 50, not 90. . . . My pool had a good amount of algae when I opened but I could see the bottom of a 9 foot deep end. I vacuumed to waste, added 1 quart of 50 algaecide and I'm going to vaccuum to filter and backwash tonight. My plan is then to shock with liquid chlorine. Should I first add stabilizer based on the fact that I'm at 0 based on the test? Can someone show me how I can calculate how much initial chlorine I will need in order to shock? Additional test data to come. . .
    sand filter
    tf100 test kit
    central Illinois

7. Back To Top    #7

The algaecide is hardly ever recommended. It is more for prevention than for eradication. You need chlorine. It is cheaper and more effective.

You need to start to learn to use PoolMath to calculate your dosages.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

8. Back To Top    #8

Chlorine levels are at 0
    TA-130
    PH-7.7
    CYA-0

I vacuumed to waste, added 15 gallons of 10% bleach and algaecide. Krawler is doing its thing. What is ideal CYA and cheapest route to increase it? Everything else is good. I assume I need to do an overnight chlorine test asap?

9. Back To Top    #9

Start with a CYA of 30. Any product that is 100% (or as close as you can get to it) cyanuric acid is fine. I bought mine online from backyard pool superstore. Do a Google shopping search for it and plenty of options will show up.

Since FC went to 0, I'd probably do an overnight test to be sure.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

10. Back To Top    #10

Please update your signature per this, What we need to know to answer your questions

Here is some basic info on water chemistry, ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry

Here are the Recommended Levels

And here is PoolMath to calculate what to add and how much to achieve the recommended levels.

I prefer to buy Kemtech Stabilizer from Lowes to increase my CYA. Put it in a sock and put it in your skimmer basket to dissolve. Give it a squeeze a few times a day to speed it along. Don't add too much at once, aim for the low end of the recommended range. It takes a week for CYA to fully dissolve and register on the test.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

11. Back To Top    #11

You might want to put in 10ppm of FC, and then test the FC and CC in 30 minutes ... with the complete loss of CYA, could be ammonia and I think you want to deal with that before adding CYA.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

12. Back To Top    #12

Why have I never heard of needing to deal with ammonia before? I will look for a test kit at the pet store and test first but what if it turns out I have an issue?

13. Back To Top    #13

Add the 10 ppm of chlorine and test in 30 minutes. If the FC measures 0 in 30 minutes then there is a good chance that the CYA was converted into ammonia. Let us know what the results of this test is and we will go from there.

You can do a search for ammonia and find some threads that have already been solved in the past.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

14. Back To Top    #14

FC dropped to around 3ppm after 1 hour (I forgot to check it) and I still had some left from the night before (from about 10ppm to 0.5). So, this means ammonia is not an issue? But I do need to add CYA since it's at 0. Is it advisable to do that while I'm SLAMing? I've already started the SLAM process of keeping the pool at 10ppm until I can pass the overnight (won't be for a bit I'm guessing based on what condition my pool was in to start this year).
    sand filter
    tf100 test kit
    central Illinois

15. Back To Top    #15

What was the CC? That is a pretty big FC drop for an hour. Was the sun on the water during that time?
    Jason, TFP Moderator

16. Back To Top    #16

0.5 cc

17. Back To Top    #17

Sorry 6.5cc

18. Back To Top    #18

I would say this is a case of the CYA being converted into ammonia and you have to get rid of it with chlorine. Since you have a vinyl liner you can do a partial water changes if there is a lot of ammonia that needs to be broken down. Replacing the water might be the cheapest option for you. First, get an ammonia test kit from a fish store and post the results of that test.

Read this thread to get more information, http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...CYA-gt-Ammonia.

Some of the chem guys might be able to better offer how much chlorine it will take to clear up the pool when we see the ammonia test results.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process