Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Anyone with screen door repair experience?

1. Back To Top    #1
    Jacksonville, FL

Anyone with screen door repair experience?

My dog tore up the bottom section of screen in our patio door, and I replaced it tonight. The screen packaging recommended 0.125 sized spline and that did the job I guess, but it doesn't feel like the screen will hold up to much pressure without the spline popping out. Does it swell over time and make it more secure, or should I look at getting the next size up?
    AG 18k gal 28' circular pine straw collector, Hayward S220T, Power-Flo Matrix 1.5 HP
    Zodiac Ranger cleaner w/ Twister and a PoolSkim
    12" red, green, yellow, and white beach ball

2. Back To Top    #2
    Chrisman, Illinois (East Central Illinois)

Re: Anyone with screen door repair experience?

I've replaced screen a few times due to dogs. I've always gone with what the package said. It seems like the spline I've bought came with two sizes in the same package and you had to peel the two sections apart (like twizzlers). I hope that makes sense. I also used the spline tool to push the spline down into the groove it fits in. It looks like a pizza cutter. The next thing I did was buy a screen door grille to keep dogs from pushing directly on the screen. Good luck!
    27' round Seaspray Evolution, AG, 17,100 gallons, Pump: Hayward Power-Flo Matrix Dual Speed 1.5 hp, Filter: Hayward Pro Series High Rate Sand Filter, June 18, 2014, Kreepy Krauley Lil Shark, TF-100 test kit, Intex Krystal Clear Saltwater System

3. Back To Top    #3
    Gurnee, IL (North Suburban Chi-town)

I'm pretty sure there will be no expanding. Every time I've replaced a screen, it was really, really snug.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

4. Back To Top    #4

Shallotte, NC

Screen spine is sized by the size of the groove in your frame. I don't know why the package said *any* size, unless it was specifically for THAT frame. What size spline did you take out? Like Smykowski said, expect it to be very snug....

5. Back To Top    #5
    NE Kansas

Just a tip- cut a few strips of wood the exact size of the inside of your screen. It will help ensure you don't bow the frame when running your last side of the screen
    Ron- Kansas. IG fiberglass, Riviera 30 Freeform 13600 gallons,
    EasyTouch 4 w/IC20 SWCG, Pentair Whisperflo 1hp, 2 speed 220 pump, Hayward ProGrid 4820 DE filter using Eco Klean instead of DE, 2 Savi Melody 12v 5 color LEDs, Raypack 266k btu millivolt heater, Arctic Armour Mesh custom safety cover (Total self Install) TF-100 test kit w/Magic stir.