Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Water on top of cover

1. Back To Top    #1

Water on top of cover

First time opening my pool.

Due to the location of my return jets/lights, I had to lower my water fairly low in the fall. Due to the amount of snow and ice over the winter I have a fair bit of water right now in my pool but above my winter cover.

Other than the debris I can see in the water, is there a problem with letting this water into the pool? I think it could save me trucking in a load of water. Is it just a bad idea to let this water into the pool? I'm a first timer and I don't want to do anything that will delay my opening or damage anything.
    17,000 gal, IG, vinyl, single speed pump, cartridge filter, built 2014, SWG, natural gas heater, city water fill.
    Jacuzzi hot tub, j-280 model, 400 gal, with Clear ray, chlorine system, well water fill.
    Taylor k-2006 test kit.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Mod Squad
    DFW, TX

Re: Water on top of cover

Nope, that seems to be the thing to do for you up north pool closers. I have seen that posted in a number threads recently about people moving, pumping or dumping water on the cover into the pool.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3
    Eastern Ohio

Re: Water on top of cover

We do this each year. Our fill water is high in Iron so the only way to top off is trucking in fresh water ($$$$) or using the rain to fill it up. It may open somewhat dirty due to this, however it clears up very easy.