Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pictures of our DIY AG pool and deck build!

1. Back To Top    #1

Pictures of our DIY AG pool and deck build!

If anyone has been contemplating installing an AG pool on their own, here's a few pics to show you can do it! It has been time consuming but well worth the $3000 we saved on just the pool install alone. Purchased the 27' x 54" pool online, installed it and then my husband built the deck! Installed the pool last year (April 2014) and finishing up the deck this year. We still have a little left to finish but we are definitely at a point now to just relax and enjoy our pool!
    Prepping the ground. We did have the advantage of already owning the backhoe, but only needed it since we were installing on a hill.
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    ​Jennifer
    19k gal, 27' x 54" AG Aqua Leader Saltwater 8000 installed April 2014; Aqua Pro 19" Sand Filter System 1.5-hp Pump; Hayward Aqua Trol Salt Chlorine Generator System; Overlap Boulder Swirl Liner; Polaris 65 Turbo Turtle Automatic Cleaner; TF-100 Testing Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pictures of our DIY AG pool and deck build!

My son couldn't wait and had to test it out!
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    ​Jennifer
    19k gal, 27' x 54" AG Aqua Leader Saltwater 8000 installed April 2014; Aqua Pro 19" Sand Filter System 1.5-hp Pump; Hayward Aqua Trol Salt Chlorine Generator System; Overlap Boulder Swirl Liner; Polaris 65 Turbo Turtle Automatic Cleaner; TF-100 Testing Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Looks great!
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

And we're almost done! A few more boards and a little more stain left to go!
    image.jpg
    ​Jennifer

5. Back To Top    #5

The deck n pool look great but why does the pool base look built up with sand in the 2nd pic down?
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

6. Back To Top    #6

Very nice! Hilarious pic of your son doing the backstroke.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

7. Back To Top    #7

I think that picture may make it appear a little more built up than it actually was. the area inside the pool was compacted really well so I hope they did it correctly.
    There is now a retaining wall on this side of the pool which was back filled and packed with dirt.
    ​Jennifer

8. Back To Top    #8

The pic looks like it is built up more the a few inches with sand. That's good you have a retaining wall on that side.

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Casey View Post
    The pic looks like it is built up more the a few inches with sand. That's good you have a retaining wall on that side.
    I tried telling my husband it would be best to not build it up AT ALL. I'm assuming, based on your question, that I was right. I haven't noticed any shifting in the year since we installed it but do you think that could have compromised the stability of the pool with it being built up at all?
    ​Jennifer

10. Back To Top    #10

Looks great! Which design is that liner? Boulder Bay or maybe Boulder Swirl?
    Dedicated TFPer since 2012 with recommended test kit
    Above ground, 30 foot round pool, 21,000 gallons
    Hayward 150 sq foot cartridge filter, 1HP Waterway pump
    Raypak 400K BTU NG Heater!
    Installed in 2006? (just a guess, pool came with house I purchased in June 2012)

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by Pauls234 View Post
    Looks great! Which design is that liner? Boulder Bay or maybe Boulder Swirl?
    Thank you! It's Boulder Swirl
    ​Jennifer

12. Back To Top    #12

One of the prettiest AGPs/deck I've seen.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by YippeeSkippy View Post
    One of the prettiest AGPs/deck I've seen.
    Thank you so very much! I'm so proud of my husband's handiwork on this - didn't know he had it in him!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    Looks great!
    Thank you so much!
    ​Jennifer

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by *JLS* View Post
    I tried telling my husband it would be best to not build it up AT ALL. I'm assuming, based on your question, that I was right. I haven't noticed any shifting in the year since we installed it but do you think that could have compromised the stability of the pool with it being built up at all?
    You never want to build up with sand! The only product suitable for build up is crusher because it it is as strong as concrete. You said you have a retaining wall on that side? It should help keep it but one never knows. I hope you will get lucky cuz the deck looks great!

Just imagine grabbing a handful of dry sand n gripping it. It is impossible too keep in your hand because it falls through your fingers and is completely unstable to build upon. Again, lets just hope the retaining wall n dirt is enough to keep it in place.,

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    Very nice! Hilarious pic of your son doing the backstroke.
    Thank you! I should add that we were filling the pool directly from our well, in April, so the water was freezing - didn't phase my son one bit!
    ​Jennifer

16. Back To Top    #16

I think all that wood is worth more than the pool! Nice job!
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

17. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by Casey View Post
    You never want to build up with sand! The only product suitable for build up is crusher because it it is as strong as concrete. You said you have a retaining wall on that side? It should help keep it but one never knows. I hope you will get lucky cuz the deck looks great!

Just imagine grabbing a handful of dry sand n gripping it. It is impossible too keep in your hand because it falls through your fingers and is completely unstable to build upon. Again, lets just hope the retaining wall n dirt is enough to keep it in place.,
    He also poured cement around the outside edges of the pavers that the uprights are sitting on, before covering with dirt. Certainly hope that's all enough, love the deck but more importantly my kids are in this pool a lot! I will definitely be doing regular inspections. Thanks!
    ​Jennifer

18. Back To Top    #18

Nicely done!
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

19. Back To Top    #19

Quote Originally Posted by Divin Dave View Post
    Nicely done!
    Thanks Divin Dave!
    ​Jennifer

20. Back To Top    #20

what size deck?

I'm looking at doing something similar in size to that, but all the way around our pool. Looks like you have PLENTY of room.

Just curious what size.
    24'x54" 15k AG round - Outback Genesis
    1 1/2hp Hayward Matrix 2 speed. Hayward 180T Sand Filter
    TF-100 Test Kit
    Pool School & TF-100
    How to SLAM

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast