Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: chlorine loss question

1. Back To Top    #1

Bucyrus, Ohio

chlorine loss question

Ok I am letting my water temp drop to 60 before I attempt to close it. Right now I am sitting at 70 water temp, can anyone tell me if my chlorine usage should be less now thats it at a lower temp? Also how long should my filter/pump run as the temp of the water drops?
    Pool size: 15' X 48" AG vinyl liner, 5300 gallons, Hayward S166T filter and 1hp pump

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

Re: chlorine loss question

Yes, your chlorine usage will drop with the temp.

You should still run your pump based on water clarity and not temp. It can certainly be cut down some but judge your water condition and be ready to bump your run time back up if you have clarity issues.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: chlorine loss question

A very rough rule of thumb for pump run time is that you can reduce the pump run time by about 15% for each 10 degrees the water cools off by. Water appearance is still the most important criteria, this is just a good estimating tool.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School