Need Some Clarification About the SLAM Process

Yev

Jul 29, 2014
Independence, KY
I have read the SLAM documents, and I understand the basic mechanics of what is going on. However, I am left with a few open questions about the process.

1.) As I have a vinyl pool, won't the high levels of FC (Shock FC) begin to bleach out my liner?

2.) During the SLAM process, you go up to Shock FC. Directions say to check and re-add chlorine, as algae, etc. will consume the chlorine. That makes sense to me. But when the process is done, and the Shock FC level is no longer dropping, what will drop down the FC level back to Target FC down from Shock FC?

The way I see it, is if you have stabilizer in the pool, is should minimize the sun's decay, and you no longer have algae, etc consuming the FC, I dont see how the FC drops back down to Target level very quickly. Then couple this with my concern #1 above, and I am left a bit confused.

3.) At What FC level is the pool safe to swim in again?

Thanks for the help in advance.

I have read the SLAM documents, and I understand the basic mechanics of what is going on. However, I am left with a few open questions about the process.

1.) As I have a vinyl pool, won't the high levels of FC (Shock FC) begin to bleach out my liner?

2.) During the SLAM process, you go up to Shock FC. Directions say to check and re-add chlorine, as algae, etc. will consume the chlorine. That makes sense to me. But when the process is done, and the Shock FC level is no longer dropping, what will drop down the FC level back to Target FC down from Shock FC?

The way I see it, is if you have stabilizer in the pool, is should minimize the sun's decay, and you no longer have algae, etc consuming the FC, I dont see how the FC drops back down to Target level very quickly. Then couple this with my concern #1 above, and I am left a bit confused.

3.) At What FC level is the pool safe to swim in again?

Thanks for the help in advance.

1. no, in short, shock/SLAM level FC won't bleach the liner.
2. the sun - it won't be terribly quick, but it will be quick enough to avoid damage to anything.
3. below shock level FC is safe to swim in. (assuming all other criteria of the SLAM are met of course)

3. below shock level FC is safe to swim in. (assuming all other criteria of the SLAM are met of course)

My CYA is 50, so according to the table my Shock FC is 20, and my Target FC is 6. So when the SLAM is done, I can swim as soon as FC drops to 19? Are there any problems with swimming at 19 (Bad on suits, hair, skin, eyes, etc)?

And I'm generally not trying to be difficult, just understand better, but if it is safe to swim at the 19 level, then why not just leave it at 19 always, why allow it to ever drop down to the Target level of 6?

Also, anything organic that gets in. Chlorine is very consumable.

Even though some protection is given by Cya, some is still lost to the Sun.

Because keeping the FC at 19 would cost a lot more chlorine. You only need that level to have enough to kill above and beyond the Cya level. Since some FC is tied up by Cya, you have to overcome it with higher FC.

There is nothing wrong about asking questions, so that isn't being difficult.

The consumption of chlorine is why we say testing should be done daily, even after the SLAM ends. You need to get a feel for your daily consumption. Remember, daily consumption is a guideline, not a hard and fast number. In the spring you will use less chlorine than the height of the summer. A few rainy overcast days will cut it back. You will begin to get the appetite of your pool for chlorine. Remember, you need to feed it regularly. Folks who test and add chlorine on the weekends end up with green pools.

And, as to you asking questions - we like answering them - that is why we are here.

The daily chlorine loss, even with CYA, is a percentage of available chlorine (it's not quite that simple, but close enough)

If you lose say 33% daily and your FC was 6 ppm, you would lose 2 ppm FC

If your FC was 19 ppm you would lose roughly 6 ppm......triple the amount of FC.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The more questions you ask the fewer mistakes you make and the easier it becomes to understand how everything works.
You're on your way. :lovetfp:

I fought high CYA levels last year and my family swam in water with higher than usual FC with no issues. Are you guys I NKY close to swimming already? We swam on Derby day in 2012 but have t been close to that date since. I'm just an hour south of you.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.