Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Need Some Clarification About the SLAM Process

1. Back To Top    #1

Need Some Clarification About the SLAM Process

I have read the SLAM documents, and I understand the basic mechanics of what is going on. However, I am left with a few open questions about the process.

1.) As I have a vinyl pool, won't the high levels of FC (Shock FC) begin to bleach out my liner?

2.) During the SLAM process, you go up to Shock FC. Directions say to check and re-add chlorine, as algae, etc. will consume the chlorine. That makes sense to me. But when the process is done, and the Shock FC level is no longer dropping, what will drop down the FC level back to Target FC down from Shock FC?

The way I see it, is if you have stabilizer in the pool, is should minimize the sun's decay, and you no longer have algae, etc consuming the FC, I dont see how the FC drops back down to Target level very quickly. Then couple this with my concern #1 above, and I am left a bit confused.

3.) At What FC level is the pool safe to swim in again?

Thanks for the help in advance.
    IG W/Vinyl Liner Oval 18x40, 21K gal, Oval 3'-8'
    Pentair Intelliflo VS Pump, Sand Filter

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Need Some Clarification About the SLAM Process

Quote Originally Posted by Yev View Post
    I have read the SLAM documents, and I understand the basic mechanics of what is going on. However, I am left with a few open questions about the process.

1.) As I have a vinyl pool, won't the high levels of FC (Shock FC) begin to bleach out my liner?

2.) During the SLAM process, you go up to Shock FC. Directions say to check and re-add chlorine, as algae, etc. will consume the chlorine. That makes sense to me. But when the process is done, and the Shock FC level is no longer dropping, what will drop down the FC level back to Target FC down from Shock FC?

The way I see it, is if you have stabilizer in the pool, is should minimize the sun's decay, and you no longer have algae, etc consuming the FC, I dont see how the FC drops back down to Target level very quickly. Then couple this with my concern #1 above, and I am left a bit confused.

3.) At What FC level is the pool safe to swim in again?

Thanks for the help in advance.
    1. no, in short, shock/SLAM level FC won't bleach the liner.
    2. the sun - it won't be terribly quick, but it will be quick enough to avoid damage to anything.
    3. below shock level FC is safe to swim in. (assuming all other criteria of the SLAM are met of course)
    IG gunite/plaster pool/spa Started 1/17/14, Plastered 5/16/14
    Size: 12'-21'x39' free form, depth ranging from 4' to 7, attached 6 person spa with spillover.
    Equipment: Whisperflo 2hp pump, Pentair 30" sand filter, Pentair Mastertemp 400k BTU heater, 1hp Whisperflo for waterfalls, and a blower for spa floor

3. Back To Top    #3

+1 what mrcarcrazy said. exactly.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by mrcarcrazy View Post
    3. below shock level FC is safe to swim in. (assuming all other criteria of the SLAM are met of course)
    My CYA is 50, so according to the table my Shock FC is 20, and my Target FC is 6. So when the SLAM is done, I can swim as soon as FC drops to 19? Are there any problems with swimming at 19 (Bad on suits, hair, skin, eyes, etc)?

And I'm generally not trying to be difficult, just understand better, but if it is safe to swim at the 19 level, then why not just leave it at 19 always, why allow it to ever drop down to the Target level of 6?

5. Back To Top    #5

Also, anything organic that gets in. Chlorine is very consumable.

Even though some protection is given by Cya, some is still lost to the Sun.

Because keeping the FC at 19 would cost a lot more chlorine. You only need that level to have enough to kill above and beyond the Cya level. Since some FC is tied up by Cya, you have to overcome it with higher FC.

There is nothing wrong about asking questions, so that isn't being difficult.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

6. Back To Top    #6

The fact that you're asking the questions you are indicates that you're starting to "get it." Congratulations on becoming a TFP'er!
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

7. Back To Top    #7

Given a CYA of 50, no problems swimming at an FC of 19.

Since chlorine is constantly being consumed, maintaining it at 19 would get expensive.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

8. Back To Top    #8

The consumption of chlorine is why we say testing should be done daily, even after the SLAM ends. You need to get a feel for your daily consumption. Remember, daily consumption is a guideline, not a hard and fast number. In the spring you will use less chlorine than the height of the summer. A few rainy overcast days will cut it back. You will begin to get the appetite of your pool for chlorine. Remember, you need to feed it regularly. Folks who test and add chlorine on the weekends end up with green pools.

And, as to you asking questions - we like answering them - that is why we are here.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

9. Back To Top    #9

In the Industry

The daily chlorine loss, even with CYA, is a percentage of available chlorine (it's not quite that simple, but close enough)

If you lose say 33% daily and your FC was 6 ppm, you would lose 2 ppm FC

If your FC was 19 ppm you would lose roughly 6 ppm......triple the amount of FC.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by Smykowski View Post
    The fact that you're asking the questions you are indicates that you're starting to "get it." Congratulations on becoming a TFP'er!
    +1 to that!
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

11. Back To Top    #11

TFP Guide

The more questions you ask the fewer mistakes you make and the easier it becomes to understand how everything works.
    You're on your way.
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ? too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!

12. Back To Top    #12

I fought high CYA levels last year and my family swam in water with higher than usual FC with no issues. Are you guys I NKY close to swimming already? We swam on Derby day in 2012 but have t been close to that date since. I'm just an hour south of you.
    SCon36

24,000 Gallon IG vinyl pool (16x36x8) with Hayward S200 sand filter and Hayward pump and heat pump. Built August 2011. I use a Taylor K-2005 test kit with a K-1515 add on.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIgL...0MyAw&index=29

13. Back To Top    #13

Without a heater, water is just now 61, so only the brave would get in.

14. Back To Top    #14

getting close. I was in our pool at 70....
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

15. Back To Top    #15

Yeah, brave, that's what we call em.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach