Erosion feeder

Purg

Apr 13, 2015
Colorado
I'm trying to find the "best" off-line erosion feeders for our 27000 gal in ground com pool and 2000 gal hot tub. Right now we're using the rainbow 300's but seem to have problems with the valves opening, closing or limiting flow. They are controlled by a BECYS automated controller that basically opens an irrigation valve allowing water flow through them. I'm sure there are many other variables to consider but first wanted to make sure that we were using the proper feeders. Any suggestions???

Welcome to TFP

We do not recommend using an erosion tab feeder for your primary source of chlorine. Continued use of tabs usually causes the level of CYA/Stabilizer to rise to unacceptable levels.

How much Pool School have you read? Start with this one:
How to Chlorinate Your Pool

Then follow up with these:
ABCs of Water Chemistry
Recommended Pool Chemicals

Most here use a Salt Water Chlorine Generator, or if you are "on the fringe" like me you utilize an automated liquid chlorine pump.

There are a few here who do have erosion feeders, so you may get an answer.

Welcome to TFP

We do not recommend using an erosion tab feeder for your primary source of chlorine. Continued use of tabs usually causes the level of CYA/Stabilizer to rise to unacceptable levels.

How much Pool School have you read? Start with this one:
How to Chlorinate Your Pool

Then follow up with these:
ABCs of Water Chemistry
Recommended Pool Chemicals

Most here use a Salt Water Chlorine Generator, or if you are "on the fringe" like me you utilize an automated liquid chlorine pump.

There are a few here who do have erosion feeders, so you may get an answer.
Started with a liquid chlorine pump but after being gassed due to a leak and breaking the bank on liquid chlorine, switched to tabs. Unfortunately this is an outdoor pool at 9500' elevation and it is nearly impossible to maintain chlorine levels with liquid chlorine due to the elevation and intensity of the sun. Would love to find a way to make things work without the tabs.

Good test results and proper chemical balance is the key to maintaining the pool. It's just as easy (and very possible) and less expensive to maintain your pool using bleach compared to tablets. The biggest key is having the cya at the proper level.

Started with a liquid chlorine pump but after being gassed due to a leak and breaking the bank on liquid chlorine, switched to tabs. Unfortunately this is an outdoor pool at 9500' elevation and it is nearly impossible to maintain chlorine levels with liquid chlorine due to the elevation and intensity of the sun. Would love to find a way to make things work without the tabs.
:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

I think clearly something is missing here. There is no reason that bleach will not work for you ... the chlorine it adds is IDENTICAL to the chlorine that the tablets add. Only the tablets are building up a bank of CYA that is going to cause problems down the road.

If you properly set the CYA level to protect the chlorine from the sun, then the bleach would work just fine with less hassle.

I am guessing you were missing the understanding of the FC/CYA relationship. See the FC/CYA Chart.

Yes, obviously more education is needed. I've just recently taken this over and am trying to replace all of the run down equipment and hopefully have a more user friendly system. This pool sees about 50 people a day in the summer months and half that in the winter if that makes any difference with the choice of chlorine...

racket, I was also looking at that feeder as an alternative but was curious if anyone else has used one before and how they differ from the Rainbow's??

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.