Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Non copper based algaecide and metal remover

1. Back To Top    #1

Non copper based algaecide and metal remover

I recently installed a Hayward SWG and in the manual it states if the pool does NOT have new water, that I should add 1 quart of metal remover and 1 quart of a non copper based algaecide to ensure a quick troublefree transfer to the Aquarite system. What products do you recommend for this ?? Also I may have to drain/fill the pool a little to get the CYA down some. Thx
    20X36 IG vinyl (18,000 gal), 3 sheer descents, Max-Flo 1.5hp VS 2300, Aquarite T15 SWG, C3030 filter, 250,000 BTU heater, Sharkvac XL (Hayward equip)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Non copper based algaecide and metal remover

Do you have metal in your water? This is a test that the pool store can do for you.

What is your CYA level? And all the rest for that matter? Here is what we are looking for, What we need to know to answer your questions

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and here are the recommended levels for a saltwater pool, Water Balance for SWCGs

And I just noticed this handy metal link, Metals in the Water and Metal Stains
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

Thank you for the reply. I still have the cover on LOL. The manual makes it sound like I should add the chemicals regardless. Oh, my CYA was at 100 last year.
    20X36 IG vinyl (18,000 gal), 3 sheer descents, Max-Flo 1.5hp VS 2300, Aquarite T15 SWG, C3030 filter, 250,000 BTU heater, Sharkvac XL (Hayward equip)

4. Back To Top    #4

We discourage adding products "just in case". It is better to wait until you actually have a problem before adding some chemical. Anything you add could just as well cause problems as avoid problems, so best to only put in what you actually need to put in.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Makes sense Jason. Wonder why the manual leads you to believe it is necessary ?? Thank again.

6. Back To Top    #6

How did you test CYA? 100 is the top of the test range for most tests, including the TF100 test kit, so it is likely that it is much higher than that. No idea why the manual would suggest adding chemicals just cuz. That is definitely not how TFPC works.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    How did you test CYA? 100 is the top of the test range for most tests, including the TF100 test kit, so it is likely that it is much higher than that. No idea why the manual would suggest adding chemicals just cuz. That is definitely not how TFPC works.
    I used the TF 100. That could be a possibility. I definitely started out lower, around 80 if I remember correctly.

8. Back To Top    #8

As pooldv points out, 100 is the limit of the CYA test, so you have to do a diluted test. While the full instructions are in the Pool School, here is the short version. Mix 50% pool water with 50% tap water. Use this mixed sample as your test water. If still at a 100 you will need to dilute more. Here is a great chart by JamesW to explain dilution rates and what you multiply the results by to get an approximation of your CYA level.

Pool water......Tap or distilled water.........Multiply result by

TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

9. Back To Top    #9

Thanks everyone for the replies. I'm familiar with the steps needed to reduce my CYA and also what my water balance should be. I guess the question remains ? Why would the Hayward manual recommend the chemicals as asked above and lead you to believe it is necessary ???? Hmmm...

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by Donny View Post
    I guess the question remains ? Why would the Hayward manual recommend the chemicals as asked above and lead you to believe it is necessary ???? Hmmm...
    There are many things in the pool industry that just keep going "because that's the way we always did it". Plus, what is a "metal remover"? No such thing that I know of.

In my year hanging around here I have noticed that many of the things suggested here are heresy to those "in the industry". I just roll with it myself.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

11. Back To Top    #11

I'm rolling Tim, I'm rolling LOL. Great info on this site really. Guys know their stuff. I found that out last year after the pool was finished. Talked to 3 or 4 local pool stores about chlorine levels and CYA, needless to say they had no idea what I was talking about!!!