New Pool Build - Conroe, TX - LOTS of pics! Come say hi Y'all.

I agree with Patrick on run times. My Epump can run on lowest speed 24 hours per day and not cost anymore than running it at higher speeds shorter periods, but I only plan on running my pump enough to turn the pool over, distribute the chemicals, and to be nice and clean.

It is hard because I work from home and can see my pool from my window - it just calls to me all day and I love to see the waterfalls going . . . I am sure it is part of it being new and the excitement of it all will wear off at some point.

I have a beautiful little tree that we are trying to nurse back to health - we had to dig pretty close to it and it has started dropping leaves like it is Fall. So I have a lot of leaves right now - I clean my skimmers each morning and night. But other than those that float and go into the skimmer - I don't see any particles or gunk on the surface of the water.

It is just so weird - we ran it 24-7 in the beginning when the PebbleTec was having to be brushed so much. Now to look out and see a still pool - it just doesn't look normal! I test PH and CL daily and do a full weekly test (just to get the hang of it) My PB sends a guy to test as well - but I have taken care of everything before he arrives - so he has yet to have to add anything to my pool.

Monday
PH 7.5
CL Drop test 6
CC .5
CH 275
TA 60
CYA 50 (I THINK - this test is still pretty hard for me - it could be less - but for sure isn't more)

Once my PB releases me I am planning on adding bleach manually and see how that goes - if it seems manageable - Ill do that - I might get a storage tank - just not sure. I haven't really shared this plan with the hubs. We had an AGP and floated tabs for chlorine for 3 years and never had a problem with CYA - so he isn't going to buy into this too easily. So I am not even going to try that route - I am going to hit him with it is cheaper than running tabs and easier to maintain ;) I take care of the pool - so he shouldn't pay much attention.

Until the PB releases me - I am doing whatever he suggests . . . I want to protect my warranty.

<--------------- READY FOR POOL SCHOOL!

Really? I am kinda excited about it! BUT - I am scared that something will happen - I dream that I wake up and there is 1/2 the water gone from my pool and there is a big crack on the side. I call my PB and he says I shouldn't have done XYZ . . .

I guess I am a little paranoid.

It hit 100 degrees today. I was so excited to hear thunder and smell the rain! Then the wind started and I sat and watched my pine trees destroy my pool.

I remember my pool builder saying, "You can keep these pines for shade, but you'll cuss 'em come Fall"

I didn't make it to Fall.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I guess the winds knocked something else into my pool - this morning I went to test the water and clean my skimmers. In each skimmer I have a scum ball - I picked it up and it felt super weird - then I felt something move. There was a GIANT fuzzy spider on it. When I dropped the ball - baby spiders went everywhere.

Needless to say the spider, the ball, and all her babies can have my skimmer, at least till the hubbs wakes up to go clean it. I can NOT make myself reach in there again. I couldn't even make myself reach into the other skimmer. UGH!

<----------------- Prefers cleaning up pine needles to spiders and snakes, any day.

I guess the winds knocked something else into my pool - this morning I went to test the water and clean my skimmers. In each skimmer I have a scum ball - I picked it up and it felt super weird - then I felt something move. There was a GIANT fuzzy spider on it. When I dropped the ball - baby spiders went everywhere.

Needless to say the spider, the ball, and all her babies can have my skimmer, at least till the hubbs wakes up to go clean it. I can NOT make myself reach in there again. I couldn't even make myself reach into the other skimmer. UGH!

<----------------- Prefers cleaning up pine needles to spiders and snakes, any day.

I would have probably screamed like a girl. I can deal with stuff like that but when it is unexpected my first reaction is to scream like a girl. Kinda like the coral snake I found or the raccoon that scared me while camping.

It is hard because I work from home and can see my pool from my window - it just calls to me all day and I love to see the waterfalls going . . . I am sure it is part of it being new and the excitement of it all will wear off at some point.

I have a beautiful little tree that we are trying to nurse back to health - we had to dig pretty close to it and it has started dropping leaves like it is Fall. So I have a lot of leaves right now - I clean my skimmers each morning and night. But other than those that float and go into the skimmer - I don't see any particles or gunk on the surface of the water.

It is just so weird - we ran it 24-7 in the beginning when the PebbleTec was having to be brushed so much. Now to look out and see a still pool - it just doesn't look normal! I test PH and CL daily and do a full weekly test (just to get the hang of it) My PB sends a guy to test as well - but I have taken care of everything before he arrives - so he has yet to have to add anything to my pool.

Monday
PH 7.5
CL Drop test 6
CC .5
CH 275
TA 60
CYA 50 (I THINK - this test is still pretty hard for me - it could be less - but for sure isn't more)

Once my PB releases me I am planning on adding bleach manually and see how that goes - if it seems manageable - Ill do that - I might get a storage tank - just not sure. I haven't really shared this plan with the hubs. We had an AGP and floated tabs for chlorine for 3 years and never had a problem with CYA - so he isn't going to buy into this too easily. So I am not even going to try that route - I am going to hit him with it is cheaper than running tabs and easier to maintain ;) I take care of the pool - so he shouldn't pay much attention.

Until the PB releases me - I am doing whatever he suggests . . . I want to protect my warranty.

<--------------- READY FOR POOL SCHOOL!

Your FC is a little low for your CYA, keep it at target and don't let it drop below minimum or algae will grow and the pool will not be properly sanitized. Chlorine CYA Chart. Raise FC a couple of ppm above target before and after swim parties to keep ahead of it.

Your FC is a little low for your CYA, keep it at target and don't let it drop below minimum or algae will grow and the pool will not be properly sanitized. Chlorine CYA Chart. Raise FC a couple of ppm above target before and after swim parties to keep ahead of it.

I am confused - The chart shows if CYA is 50, your target FC is 6 which is what mine is. What do you think it should be with my CYA at 50? Should I be trying to get my numbers closer to shock?

ALSO - I am having a big pool party tomorrow - with CYA at 50 - what FC do you suggest?????

Hi Sunbaby,
your FC is good. Target of 6 with CYA 50 is right. No worries.

I agree with pooldv, that if you are planning a pool party, its not a bad idea to raise the FC by about 2 ppm. The slight raise will not be noticeable and provide a bit of added chlorine to help out with the suntan lotions, and whatnot that swimmers put into the water.
Bumping it up a couple is not a requirement though, just a good idea.

I am confused - The chart shows if CYA is 50, your target FC is 6 which is what mine is. What do you think it should be with my CYA at 50? Should I be trying to get my numbers closer to shock?

ALSO - I am having a big pool party tomorrow - with CYA at 50 - what FC do you suggest?????

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.