New Pool Build - Conroe, TX - LOTS of pics! Come say hi Y'all.

Thank you all! Such a wealth of information and it is so very appreciated. I wish we could have a meet up here at my house for dinner as a thank you!

Suz, I gladly share my thread with you, we are kinda pool family.

We had a get together on Sunday with 11 kids in the pool all day. I'm thinking my FC might be working OT for their snotty little noses, who also got both Eddie and I sick.

Little side note. Fall is my favorite time of year- I look forward to it with complete giddiness. However now that I have this beautiful pool, I'm feeling a little less excited for the changing weather and a slight longing for the dog days of summer.

Normal? Do all newbies start relating to seasons as pool season and I wish it were pool season?

I'm feeling the exact same way, Wendy!!! In my later years, I have absolutely hated the summer or anytime it's over 80 degrees outside. Just HATE it! This is the first August I have enjoyed in decades. When I got in the pool last night, I could feel the air was just a tiny bit cooler, and I thought, "Oh no!!!! It can't be time for fall?!" And then I looked around quickly and wondered who had just said that!!!

Suz.

EXACTLY how I feel Suz!!!!!!!!!

My FC was 7 this AM so I reduced my pool size to 13000 gal, did pool math and added 38 oz of Bleach to try to get it up to 9. Now that you guys explained that I am not going to destroy this hole in my backyard if my FC is too high - I am going to test and figure this out!!!!

Little side note. Fall is my favorite time of year- I look forward to it with complete giddiness. However now that I have this beautiful pool, I'm feeling a little less excited for the changing weather and a slight longing for the dog days of summer.

Normal? Do all newbies start relating to seasons as pool season and I wish it were pool season?

I'm always excited for fall but not this time! I don't want to see the 95-99 weather go away. I'm sad! Lol

LOL!
Here is a hint for you that may help. At the bottom of pool math, you will see "EFFECTS OF ADDING".
Use that little tool to tell you how much 38 ozs will raise FC in 13K, 13.5, 14... etc. (change the volume at the top).
After you added the bleach, wait 30 mins and test and see what the result is and then match up the test result to the volume and result you used in the effects of adding tool.
You can get scary close. Its amazing how accurate pool math really is.

If you wanna get even more accurate, use Effects of Adding while adjusting your pH down.

Reason why is that bleach can loose a little strength over time, so your test result might be a little diffent than expected if the bleach is a little weak. (Unless your bleach really lost a lot of strength, its usually close enough though).

Muriatic acid strength to doesn't deplete over time, so there isnt any inaccuracy in the pH adjustment due to the strength of it.

Or if you wanna get really really scientific, just for fun, when you get a little more experience, you can try this. Its fun!
A Chemical Way of Calculating Pool Volume

My FC was 7 this AM so I reduced my pool size to 13000 gal, did pool math and added 38 oz of Bleach to try to get it up to 9. Now that you guys explained that I am not going to destroy this hole in my backyard if my FC is too high - I am going to test and figure this out!!!!

LOL!
Here is a hint for you that may help. At the bottom of pool math, you will see "EFFECTS OF ADDING".
Use that little tool to tell you how much 38 ozs will raise FC in 13K, 13.5, 14... etc. (change the volume at the top).
After you added the bleach, wait 30 mins and test and see what the result is and then match up the test result to the volume and result you used in the effects of adding tool.
You can get scary close. Its amazing how accurate pool math really is.

If you wanna get even more accurate, use Effects of Adding while adjusting your pH down.

Reason why is that bleach can loose a little strength over time, so your test result might be a little diffent than expected if the bleach is a little weak. (Unless your bleach really lost a lot of strength, its usually close enough though).

Muriatic acid strength to doesn't deplete over time, so there isnt any inaccuracy in the pH adjustment due to the strength of it.

Or if you wanna get really really scientific, just for fun, when you get a little more experience, you can try this. Its fun!
A Chemical Way of Calculating Pool Volume

I think we might have a different definition of fun, Dave :)

I waited an hour (I have to go out during breaks of work). It upped my FC to 11. So I am going to play with the PoolMath "Effects of Adding" later today and see if I can adjust my Pool Volume down. SO thankful that someone took the time to create PoolMath and put it in a workable format for people like me!

haha!!!
Yeah, well Im not so young anymore, so Im easily amused these days! LOL.

and yeah, we would all be in trouble except for a couple of the chemical geniuses here if it werent for pool math.

I think we might have a different definition of fun, Dave :)

SO thankful that someone took the time to create PoolMath and put it in a workable format for people like me!

haha!!!
Yeah, well Im not so young anymore, so Im easily amused these days! LOL.

and yeah, we would all be in trouble except for a couple of the chemical geniuses here if it werent for pool math.

Well, I'll bite.... I'm also easily entertained and very curious about what my pool gallons are. When we were filling the pool, we didn't bother to do the meter reading thing since it was buried in 2 feet of mud. Now I wish we had.

So.... Where do I get the test for the pH that is more accurate? I probably won't do it right away, but I do want to try the link you gave (if I can wrap my pea-sized brain around the instructions!!!).

In the meantime, since MA and I are becoming such good friends, I'm going to try using that to help me reverse figure the gallons.

Thanks again!
Suz.

Hi Suz,
The link is for using Baking Soda (TA method), of determining volume. It's easy to do, but depending on what your water parameters are now, you may need to bring the TA back down when finished with the test. You use your TF 100 TA test for doing it. Nothing special needed. The TA method in the link is the most accurate to within 1000 gallons.

Well, I'll bite.... I'm also easily entertained and very curious about what my pool gallons are. When we were filling the pool, we didn't bother to do the meter reading thing since it was buried in 2 feet of mud. Now I wish we had.

So.... Where do I get the test for the pH that is more accurate? I probably won't do it right away, but I do want to try the link you gave (if I can wrap my pea-sized brain around the instructions!!!).

In the meantime, since MA and I are becoming such good friends, I'm going to try using that to help me reverse figure the gallons.

Thanks again!
Suz.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It seems to be back on now.

For some wierd reason, there were several threads on TFP inlucding this one, that somehow got locked.
Thinking software bug of some sort but dont know yet.

Anyways, I hope you all weren't having withdrawls!

Yesterday was some kinda day. Murphy's Law is in FULL effect here. I am sick, went to the Dr. yesterday, they said I am contagious and I can't go to my weekend getaway with the girls. I call the birthday girl - she is so upset she cancels the entire weekend. (yeah - that made me feel like a loser). Dr. gives me a shot and says I just have to suffer through until it works its way out of my system.

On the way home my low tire icon starts glowing on my car - get out and I can see that my front driver side is low. It is under warranty - so I stop at Discount Tire - 2 hour 45 minute wait. Nope, not gonna do it. I come home. BUT, I forget to tell hubby about low tire. Yeah. Oops. Last night we are heading to bed and I ask him if he set his alarm (he is sick and has a Dr. appt early) - it hits me - low tire. I tell him, we get up, go out - start the super loud compressor (sorry neighbors) - air it up.

Come back inside and I said I think I am running a fever, it seems so hot in here. He looks at the temp - our AC is out. It is now 79 in our house. I submit a ticket to our home warranty and now I am patiently waiting for them to come and see what is wrong.

I am scared to test my pool. Maybe I should just skip today. :brickwall:

Yesterday was some kinda day. Murphy's Law is in FULL effect here. I am sick, went to the Dr. yesterday, they said I am contagious and I can't go to my weekend getaway with the girls. I call the birthday girl - she is so upset she cancels the entire weekend. (yeah - that made me feel like a loser). Dr. gives me a shot and says I just have to suffer through until it works its way out of my system.

On the way home my low tire icon starts glowing on my car - get out and I can see that my front driver side is low. It is under warranty - so I stop at Discount Tire - 2 hour 45 minute wait. Nope, not gonna do it. I come home. BUT, I forget to tell hubby about low tire. Yeah. Oops. Last night we are heading to bed and I ask him if he set his alarm (he is sick and has a Dr. appt early) - it hits me - low tire. I tell him, we get up, go out - start the super loud compressor (sorry neighbors) - air it up.

Come back inside and I said I think I am running a fever, it seems so hot in here. He looks at the temp - our AC is out. It is now 79 in our house. I submit a ticket to our home warranty and now I am patiently waiting for them to come and see what is wrong.

I am scared to test my pool. Maybe I should just skip today. :brickwall:

I hope tomorrow is better for you! That is a bummer. I always say things happen to me in 3's. So with flu, tire, and AC you are done :) At least we can hope.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.