Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Vacuum hose directly into skimmer suction hole?

1. Back To Top    #1

Vacuum hose directly into skimmer suction hole?

Whenever I use the skimmer cap and put it over my skimmer basket, it never create enough suction to pull anything and often lose suction. I gave up on that and removed everything and shove the vacuum hose straight into the suction hole. I love the pressure, so strong it can probably suck an eyeball out.

Although my pump skimmer catch a lot of this, is that a bad idea?
    SF Bay

********20,000 gallon IG Fiberglass, DE Filter, Hayward Max-Flo VS, Taylor TF-100 Test, Circupool RJ-45********

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Vacuum hose directly into skimmer suction hole?

I do the same. But I'm wary of sticking the hose directly in, as a few years ago someone lost the sleeve off the end of the hose and it got caught in the underground plumbing. I use a threaded PVC coupling and a hose barb.The adaptor is too big to get sucked down the hole.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

It's all fun and games until somebody loses an eye... 😉
    25000 gallon free-form gunite
    Jandy Stealth pump/CL340 cartridge filter
    Pentair IC40 SWG
    Pentair MasterTemp 250HD heater
    Jandy AquaLink RS automation

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
    I do the same. But I'm wary of sticking the hose directly in, as a few years ago someone lost the sleeve off the end of the hose and it got caught in the underground plumbing. I use a threaded PVC coupling and a hose barb.The adaptor is too big to get sucked down the hole.
    Can you post a picture?
    10,965 Gallons IG Aqua Pearl Finish pool, Pentair C&C RP 200 Sq Ft, Pentair Intelliflow VS Pump
    Opened 03/27/2015, TF-100 Test Kit, Spa, Double Flagstone Spillover, Pentair IC40 SWG, Pentair 125K Heat Pump

5. Back To Top    #5

Do you have multiple skimmers, or just the one? And do you have a main drain?

I have 2 skimmers and a dual main drain.

For me to get suction and avoid your issues, I have to go to my valves, and close the other skimmer, and then I half close the main drain. At that point the vacuum stays easily in place. Are you following this type of practice? Also, are you filling the vacuum hose with water before trying to get the skimmer to hold the hose into place?
    IG W/Vinyl Liner Oval 18x40, 21K gal, Oval 3'-8'
    Pentair Intelliflo VS Pump, Sand Filter

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by dannieboiz View Post
    Although my pump skimmer catch a lot of this, is that a bad idea?
    I think it's a bad idea, because I think that's how I got a lot of debris in one on my skimmer lines. Not positive, though, so I'm not sure it's a bad idea.

I did find a good solution to the problem of sucking too much debris into the skimmer line: get an in-line leaf filter. It plugs onto the end of the vacuum hose & into the skimmer. The leaf filter has a mesh bag inside, kind of like the mesh on a leaf skimmer or a Polaris pool cleaner. I love my leaf filter. Traps big debris, so I'm not worried about clogging the lines, and traps an amazing amount of small, sandy debris. I can actually vacuum while on filter mode. Used to have to vacuum to waste to keep the water clear. Wish I had known about this gadget 20-years ago.

Good luck!
    36K gallon 42X22 gunite/plaster kidney-shaped IG;
    1 hp Hayward Super Pump (new in 2012);
    Hayward S244T sand filter w/ Zeosand (both new in 2009);
    175K BTU LAARS Lite2 LG natural gas heater; Polaris 380;
    TF-100 test kit.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by aeromitch37 View Post
    Can you post a picture?

The end of the vacuum hose fits snug in the threads. There's a step inside my skimmer hole that keeps the coupler from going down inside. Just measure the hole with a tape measure and then go wander the hardware store.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by CUTiger78 View Post
    I think it's a bad idea, because I think that's how I got a lot of debris in one on my skimmer lines. Not positive, though, so I'm not sure it's a bad idea.

I did find a good solution to the problem of sucking too much debris into the skimmer line: get an in-line leaf filter. It plugs onto the end of the vacuum hose & into the skimmer. The leaf filter has a mesh bag inside, kind of like the mesh on a leaf skimmer or a Polaris pool cleaner. I love my leaf filter. Traps big debris, so I'm not worried about clogging the lines, and traps an amazing amount of small, sandy debris. I can actually vacuum while on filter mode. Used to have to vacuum to waste to keep the water clear. Wish I had known about this gadget 20-years ago.

Good luck!
    I can't seem to find one that fits into my skimmer, what model do you happen to have ?
    14,750 GAL IG Fiberglass (16 x 33) NE Ohio || Jandy 1HP 2 speed Pump || Waterco MultiCyclone 16 Centrifugal pre-filter (removed due to not working with sand filter) || 30" 575 Lb. Sand Filter || AquaCal 140K BTU Heat Pump || Solar Cover || Inter-fab Adrenaline Slide || GLI Monsoon Solar Cover Reel || K-2006C Test Kit || BBB with Liquid Chlorine Stenner Injection || Rayner Mighty Mesh Winter Cover

9. Back To Top    #9

beside all those bad things that could happen, I assume it's ok if I'm 100% sure there's nothing in the pool. I'm just pulling sand and stuff off the bottom
    SF Bay

********20,000 gallon IG Fiberglass, DE Filter, Hayward Max-Flo VS, Taylor TF-100 Test, Circupool RJ-45********

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by toofast View Post
    I can't seem to find one that fits into my skimmer, what model do you happen to have ?
    I'm pretty sure I have the Pentair 186 "Snap Open" Leaf Trap. I'm using the hose that came w/ my Kreepy Krauly and it came with an adapter for the skimmer hole. You can buy that adapter separately, as a replacement part for the Kreepy Krauly Great White.
    36K gallon 42X22 gunite/plaster kidney-shaped IG;
    1 hp Hayward Super Pump (new in 2012);
    Hayward S244T sand filter w/ Zeosand (both new in 2009);
    175K BTU LAARS Lite2 LG natural gas heater; Polaris 380;
    TF-100 test kit.

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post

....[snipped] and then go wander the hardware store.
    +1; One of my favorite pastimes!!!
    13,000 gal.Peanut shaped IG Plaster (med. gray) w/ 7' raised spa. ALL Pentair: Intelliflow 3hp VS, Cartridge filter, 400,000 btu heater, 2.0hp spa motor, Easy Touch control panel & is4 spa side switch, Intellichlor 40C SWG, Paramount PV3 In Floor cleaning system, spa spillway and two sheer descents. Solar: 10 FAFCO panels 1.5hp booster. Testt kits: K-2006 & K1766 (Chloride/Salt) Fill date August 15, 2114.