Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Wierd...can solar cover possibly RAISE FC?

1. Back To Top    #1

Wierd...can solar cover possibly RAISE FC?

Hey everyone!
    Got a new solar cover last week. Doesn't heat the water that much but I've noticed not losing as much FC which is great. We've had rain, rain and more rain for the last 5 days. Been maintaining the FC at 7 but this morning FC TEST WAS 9.. I haven't added bleach in 2 days and I did the test twice. Same both times

FC 9
    CC 0
    PH 7.4
    TA 75
    CYA 45-50

Is it possible solar cover could raise the FC. SCRATCHING MY HEAD HERE.
    Montgomery, AL
    27000 16 x 36 IG, Vinyl, Grecian, Hayward Sand filter, 1 HP Pentair whisperflo motor, Aqua Genie filter not by choice, no extra jets, Dolphin s300i robotic cleaner,Taylor K 2006 test kit, speed-stir which I couldn't live without!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Wierd...can solar cover possibly RAISE FC?

A solar cover will stop, or at least mostly prevent, chlorine loss to sunlight. That doesn't in and of it's self raise the FC level, but it does let other things which add chlorine, like a SWG, get ahead of chlorine loss.

One possibility is that you have been drawing water from too close to the surface, where sunlight has depleted the chlorine. Now with the cover there is almost no chlorine loss and you are getting closer to the actual chlorine level, rather than the surface depleted chlorine level.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Well, I don't have a SWG a so that can't be it. I think I'm understanding the second part. Best to do nothing ?
    Montgomery, AL
    27000 16 x 36 IG, Vinyl, Grecian, Hayward Sand filter, 1 HP Pentair whisperflo motor, Aqua Genie filter not by choice, no extra jets, Dolphin s300i robotic cleaner,Taylor K 2006 test kit, speed-stir which I couldn't live without!

4. Back To Top    #4

Nothing to worry about here.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Then I think im liking this ugly solar cover after all. Saving me $$....FC this am 8.5.! Thanks Jason!
    Montgomery, AL