Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Started pool - filter pressure remains too high

1. Back To Top    #1

Started pool - filter pressure remains too high

Two weeks ago I fired up the pool like I've always done. Got most of the leaves out with the net to the point where I could run the robot. I typically do not add DE right at opening because I know that I'm going to pull the grids and hose them off after the water looks clean. Filter gauge was showing about 20 psi at start up which is normal. Yesterday the pool is clean and looking good and the grid pressure is reading 34 psi so it's time to pull the grids. I do so and hose off some really foul smelling worm remains, clean out the strainer basket and reinstall the grids (which looked pretty good). Pressure goes right back up to 30 - 32 psi.

I've done this before and never had an issue getting the pressure back into the low 20's. So I yanked the grids again and hosed them off more thoroughly with a better hose fitting. Reinstalled the grids and get the same thing. What am I doing wrong?
    35,000 gallon Anthony & Sylvan, plaster over concrete, Purex Triton FNSP 60 filter with DE, 2 hp pump, Nature2 clearvision system, Polaris robot.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Started pool - filter pressure remains too high

You should never run a DE filter with no DE in it. That can clog up the grids with debris and ruin them.
    Are you sure the valves after the pump/filter are in the same position they were last year? No plumbing difference?

They may need a deep cleaning at this point ... or to be replaced. See: http://www.troublefreepool.com/use-a...ers-t4086.html
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

One likely possibility is that the gauge is broken. Check the return pressure and see if the return jet feels as strong as usual, if so it is probably a bad gauge.

Another possibility, less likely but basically what jblizzle is saying, is that the grids have gotten too much debris stuck in them that won't hose off. This can usually be fixed by soaking them overnight in a solution of one cup of automatic dishwasher detergent for every five gallons of water.

Yet another possibility is that some valve on the return side is closed when it should be open, blocking water flow. The returns will be weaker than usual if this is the case.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Ah yes, the obvious suggestion of a broken gauge that I overlooked
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

I'm thinking that Jason might have nailed it. I never knew that about the grids. I've always saved the DE for after the start up. Penny wise, pound foolish I guess. Going to follow that link now and see what I've let myself in for. Thanks, guys.
    35,000 gallon Anthony & Sylvan, plaster over concrete, Purex Triton FNSP 60 filter with DE, 2 hp pump, Nature2 clearvision system, Polaris robot.