Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Re-Direct Backwash

1. Back To Top    #1

Re-Direct Backwash

Question 1:
    I would like to change where my backwash goes. Currently I have one of those flat roll-up hoses that I attach and unroll each time I backwash. But the exit port is pointing right towards my house causing the area between the house and pool to get wet. Can I put in a 90 degree turn and use a PVC pipe to send the water through a perforated landscape drainage pipe? I wan't sure how the change in direction would affect the flow rate (if any). I assume that as long as the PVC pipe is the same diameter as the exit port, then that should be fine, right?

Question 2:
    Anyone ever try to catch the backwash water to use for watering flowerbeds or gardens? I fell bad just wasting all that perfectly good (slightly dirty) water. I wonder if I could store it in a rain barrel (like this one: http://goo.gl/btgZTG).

Anyone care to share their plumbing setup for backwash?
    Last edited by Shirker; 04-14-2015 at 11:42 AM. Reason: typo
    TF-100 | 13.6k gal (24' Round) AG | Chlorine | Sand Filter | Two Speed Motor | Installed June 2014 | Last Opened April 24 2016

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Re-Direct Backwash

It's fine to turn the backwash a different direction as long as you use the proper diameter piping and fittings.

I don't recall anyone 'catching' the backwash water, but I don't think it'd be a problem. Once caught the FC would drop to zero pretty quickly, so it wouldn't hurt any plants.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

I have my flex hose (like yours) fitted with a female camloc on the end and a male on the outlet. With the flex hose, I move it wherever I want to water trees/lawn. I can snap a pic of this sometime. It never leaks or sprays out anywhere, very easy to connect and remove with no troubles.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick_B View Post
    I have my flex hose (like yours) fitted with a female camloc on the end and a male on the outlet.
    Like this?:

http://goo.gl/0UT7Bd

That would be great. Currently I have to hold the hose on with one hand while back-washing to prevent it from popping off.
    TF-100 | 13.6k gal (24' Round) AG | Chlorine | Sand Filter | Two Speed Motor | Installed June 2014 | Last Opened April 24 2016

5. Back To Top    #5

Exactly. You can do it how you like, mine just happens to be female (that one) on my hose end. One will need a thread end...whichever you install on the system piping. Get a 2" camloc for this. Holding the hose end on there is for the birds!
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks that solves half my problem right there. How did you attach the hose to the camloc? One of those screw down clamps?

7. Back To Top    #7

Yep. Inserted the barb, wrapped the excess hose around barb, radiator hose clamp. Not even a drip. Not fancy, but works like a champ.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

Not sure but I think the backwash discharge opening is the same diameter as 1.5" pvc pipe so a 90 would glue directly to it. Mine is hard-plumbed but I cannot remember (I'm not there right now) just what fittings were used but I know it's all glued pvc.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

9. Back To Top    #9

My backwash port is standard size, and someone in the past glued an elbow and a threaded adaptor onto it. I screwed one of these in and I attach the roll-up hose with one of these.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

10. Back To Top    #10

Mine too, I just came out with some thread for flexibility. They ought to thread the multi port outlet, but they forgot to call and ask me.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:

11. Back To Top    #11

Mine already has a threaded adapter that looks a little like this

I will try to take a picture of it later today when I get home. Not very handy and I don't really have the correct vocabulary either.

12. Back To Top    #12

No problem, we'll help you.

That is called a barb fitting. Two sizes on that one. If it's already there and big enough, you can hose clamp your backwash tube to it if you like. All you'd need then is the hose clamp.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:

13. Back To Top    #13

In the Industry

There is no reason you can't backwash into a rain barrel and use it to irrigate.
    20X40 30,000 gallon gunite pool