Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: acceptable water loss

1. Back To Top    #1

acceptable water loss

Losing about an inch over 14ish hours. Is this normal or should I be concerned about a leak?
    In-ground fiberglass hybrid (25K gal), Raypak Natural Gas, Hayward S-244S Sand filter, AquaRite SWG
    NE Indiana TF-100 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: acceptable water loss

Yes, that is excessively high.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

Suggestions on where to begin to find the leak?
    In-ground fiberglass hybrid (25K gal), Raypak Natural Gas, Hayward S-244S Sand filter, AquaRite SWG

4. Back To Top    #4

First, see if it stops leaking/losing level when it drops below the skimmers. But aren't you in a SLAM right now? Sorry, answering lots of posts right now.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:

5. Back To Top    #5

No problem. I have not begun the slam yet since I am seeing such drastic improvements

6. Back To Top    #6

If it stops once you get below the skimmers, then that tells you something.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:

7. Back To Top    #7

Ok, pump has been shut off for 2 days now and it looks like the water has stopped going down BUT it is still about 1/2 in above the skimmers. I looked around the edge and dont see noticeable cracks. Could it be going through the seems on the sidewall? Any suggestions?

8. Back To Top    #8

I don't have any experience with leak detection. Yet ...
    But, here are a couple of article from Pool School about leaks. Hopefully they will help.

http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...leak-detection
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...side-air-leaks
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by february17th View Post
    Ok, pump has been shut off for 2 days now and it looks like the water has stopped going down BUT it is still about 1/2 in above the skimmers. I looked around the edge and dont see noticeable cracks. Could it be going through the seems on the sidewall? Any suggestions?
    Did it continue to drop after the pump was shut off, or did it stop then? It's really common to have a leaking multiport valve, and if it's hard-plumbed to the sewer or discharges some distance away, you might not notice the trickle of water.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

10. Back To Top    #10

Richard, I am not sure where/what the muliport is! It seemed like the water stopped with about a half inch above the skimmer's. I turned the pump back on and it took the water barely below the skimmers so I turned it off again. Once I did that water level went back to 1/2 in above skimmers....odd as I would think the pipes would be full of water if above skimmers....correct?

The water seemed to stop about 1/2 in below the return jet. Could this be where the leak is? Do I fill again and do the food coloring thing?

If its in the pipes below the concrete, what are my options?

- - - Updated - - -

ok I found out what the mulitport valve is. I discharge the waste to a tile about 2 feet away so I dont think its that

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by february17th View Post
    Richard, I am not sure where/what the muliport is! It seemed like the water stopped with about a half inch above the skimmer's. I turned the pump back on and it took the water barely below the skimmers so I turned it off again. Once I did that water level went back to 1/2 in above skimmers....odd as I would think the pipes would be full of water if above skimmers....correct?

The water seemed to stop about 1/2 in below the return jet. Could this be where the leak is? Do I fill again and do the food coloring thing?

If its in the pipes below the concrete, what are my options?

- - - Updated - - -

ok I found out what the mulitport valve is. I discharge the waste to a tile about 2 feet away so I dont think its that
    I'm not understanding something. The returns are usually below the skimmers. Water dropping in the skimmers when the pump is on is normal if the water level is low. That I understand. The thing with the returns is what has me confused.

Bear in mind that water seeks its own level. So if the leaking stops at some point, the leak is right at that height. I have no experience with underground plumbing repairs, so I have no answer there.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!