The forum is acting up today

JasonLion

TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
May 7, 2007
Silver Spring, MD
The forum software has been acting up today (and a little bit yesterday). I am aware of the problem and I am looking into it.

For the moment the slideshow on the home page is disabled. I hope to have it restored shortly.

Hopefully this whole issue will be straightened out soon.

Well, yes and no. I have been adjusting some settings to try and stop the problems, and the current combination seems to be working, but I still haven't pinned down exactly what is causing the problems in the first place.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I noticed my phone being REALLY slow this morning a few hours ago. But being that my phone is a POS and I was using Tapatalk and I would not put it past Verizon to throttle me, I thought one of those could be the culprit. Although then I went to another forum and things seemed to be working at normal speed.

I am sure Jason will figure it out eventually :goodjob:

Have you checked your router logs to see if you are under a DOS or DDOS attack?

- - - Updated - - -

Did the software undergo an automatic update? If nothing has changed on the forum software it is unlikely to be the cause. If it is hosted on a Windows server check the application logs on the server.

People sometimes setup computers (robots) to attack web servers. There are many different ways to do this. The trouble this week was mostly caused by someone setting up a robot to access web pages on our site very quickly, loading down the server, causing slow response times and eventually triggering what is basically a "server overloaded" error message. Once I found that part of what was happening, it was easy to block them.

By the by, I am expecting normal traffic to saturate the server soon, and plan a hardware upgrade for early May. Depending on how rapidly traffic rises this spring, we may get overloaded at some times here and there before the hardware upgrade is in place.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.