Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: LED vs incandescent pool light

1. Back To Top    #1

LED vs incandescent pool light

I have a large roughly 40x20 Lazy Ell shaped pool. I only have one light on the wall at the deep end of the pool. I am replacing the existing light and housing which burnt out a year ago. If I swap it out with an incandescent light can I easily upgrade to an LED light in the future by just swapping out the bulb? Or do I need to change the wiring and housing and/or drain pool below light level to switch to LED?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: LED vs incandescent pool light

Hi,
    there are LED bulbs that are direct replacements for incandescents. No changes to wiring needed.

With a pool as big as your though, and only 1 light, I dont think you will be happy with a LED. The LED just arent as effective (lots less lumens) as an incandescent bulb. Probably in the order of at least 30%.
    You would need a minimum of at least 2. And with a Lazy Ell, and 3 would be probably be preferred to light up the whole pool.

My pool is 30x15 and my LED retrofit bulb just barely seems to be enough, and even at that, isnt nearly as "lit up" as with the incandescent.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

3. Back To Top    #3

I have a Mountain Pond shape with two (2) LED's. I don't think I would of been happy with just one (1) LED.
    20X36 IG vinyl (18,000 gal), 3 sheer descents, Max-Flo 1.5hp VS 2300, Aquarite T15 SWG, C3030 filter, 250,000 BTU heater, Sharkvac XL (Hayward equip)

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Divin dave, which LED bulb did you use?

Lumens isn't eveything. A lot of lumens tend to be wasted in incandescent lighting.
    20X40 30,000 gallon gunite pool

5. Back To Top    #5

I have this one.
    http://www.poolsupplyworld.com/JJ-El...P1-RGB-120.htm

Probably one thing to mention. My pool surface is a fairly dark hue of Blue, and I have no doubt that effects how the light is perceived. If you have a white plaster, it will probably be better than my experience. Though I still think for a large Lazy ELL, at two would be a minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by racket View Post
    Divin dave, which LED bulb did you use?

Lumens isn't eveything. A lot of lumens tend to be wasted in incandescent lighting.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by Divin Dave View Post
    I have this one.
    http://www.poolsupplyworld.com/JJ-El...P1-RGB-120.htm

Probably one thing to mention. My pool surface is a fairly dark hue of Blue, and I have no doubt that effects how the light is perceived. If you have a white plaster, it will probably be better than my experience. Though I still think for a large Lazy ELL, at two would be a minimum.
    RGB bulbs will have significantly less output since they have to dedicate more led's to each color. The white bulbs are pretty bright.
    20X40 30,000 gallon gunite pool

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by rmm221 View Post
    I have a large roughly 40x20 Lazy Ell shaped pool. I only have one light on the wall at the deep end of the pool. I am replacing the existing light and housing which burnt out a year ago. If I swap it out with an incandescent light can I easily upgrade to an LED light in the future by just swapping out the bulb? Or do I need to change the wiring and housing and/or drain pool below light level to switch to LED?
    my old 20 years young pool light finally went out. I tried one of Lowes florescent lamps (not for pools). while I did research
    on upgrading to a LED. my light fixture is no longer made. yours might be able to just replace the lamp asssembly or even
    the bulb itself. I opted for a led pool lamp that was made to replace the 500 watt. the lumens were not as advertised
    3300 but 1400 http://www.amazon.com/Halco-80134-R4...led+pool+light
    if you look at the out of box pictures I posted there. the florescent one I had was 1300 lumins but a lower color temp.
    there was not much difference in them.
    my light finally leaked internally and shorted out. now sits with water in it.
    I had thought of replacing the whole unit, to which I believe when you change out the mount you do need to lower
    the water level. I'll do that when I replace the whole pool/liner/light, filter ETC.
    since my house is near the end of my pool. I went to home depot and bought 4 led plastic solar
    rechargable garden spot lamps that came with screw down mounts. my gutters almost hang over near the pool's edge.
    so I epoxied two each side, lighting the opposite side. free power and decent light better than moon light
    keeps my pool illuminated. $20 each spot lamp. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Hampton-B...7qvZp4Z1z115g2
    PS Lowes had a flourescent lamp that was about 1300 lumins for around $10, compared to the LED one at amazon-e.
    http://www.lowes.com/pd_75232-371-60.../outdoor%20use
    most pool lights should have ample wiring to remove it with out draining the pool. one single screw at the top lamp holder frame.
    just be sure the circuit breaker is off, while you look at it.
    18X36 Grecian 24400 est., pacfab sand Triton II, 1.5hp AOSmith, clormatic 2