Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Crack the valve, finally ready to fill...

1. Back To Top    #1

Crack the valve, finally ready to fill...

All,

As the name entails, I am finished with pool guys (too many stories, bill add-ons, mystery additives...), will start maintaining my pool myself.

Last fall I drained my 7,500 gallon pool, acid washed it, replaced jets and painted it. So far so good, the pool looks brand new. I cleaned it out for a final time last week, applied a fresh coat of paint to the bottom and waited 7 days, now ready to fill.

A few questions, in advance, I did a check on the forum and didn't find precisely my situation, so started a new post.

- I intend to fill with a hose, using a hose-attached filter. Necessary?

- As far as I have read on this board, my first step is to get the pool filled, then run the filter continuously for 72 hours. During this time, I should begin to bring the pH into spec.

- From there, appears CYA should be my next focal point, while concurrently beginning to add chlorine.

- Looks like the test kit of choice is the TF 100. Unless recommended otherwise, I should be ordering one in the morning. Is this the best option?

So many questions, so little desire to bore you guys, appreciate any assistance, or any unsolicited recommendations,

Cheers,

N

-
    7,500 gallon, funky kidney shaped, Hayward Cartridge filter, no heater, partial sunshine

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Crack the valve, finally ready to fill...

Unless I'm missing something, you should not be waiting 72 hours to adjust your water. Get to it within an hour after start up.

Order the TF100, definitely!

You May find that Your paint job will never last. We never recommend painting a pool here but what is done is done. You're on your way. Good luck n welcome to TFP.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

3. Back To Top    #3

No hose filter necessary and no 72 hour wait needed. Here is some stuff to read to help understand water chemistry and how to maintain your pool.

Test Kit Comparison
    ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry
    Recommended Levels
    PoolMath

Test results first, PH second, CYA third, chlorine fourth.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome to the forum!

Since you are in Vegas, order your TF100 kit from Pool Supply World. They are an approved seller, and you'll get it faster.

As soon as your pool is full, and you've run the pH test you should start figuring out the Cya, Chlorine, and the pH adjustment. No need for 72 hours. Since you are painted, there won't be the regular startup procedures as for new plaster. You need to get the Cya going, Chlorine in, and pH all adjusted from the start when filled.

Hopefully it won't be long before you're kit arrives, but if you can give some details on the pool, we can guide you on getting started. Being a new fill, things are easier to suggest. Start in with Pool School beginning with the ABCs, and move around from there.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

5. Back To Top    #5

Assuming that you have good clean tap water in yoru house from city water, there is no need to have a hose filter. If you have old lines running to your house that can be a bit rusty at times, then you might want to consider it
    IG W/Vinyl Liner Oval 18x40, 21K gal, Oval 3'-8'
    Pentair Intelliflo VS Pump, Sand Filter

6. Back To Top    #6

All,

Thanks for the quick replies, it's a tough balance between the pool store (NPS and Leslies seem to operate identically) asking me to back up a truck for the initial chemical load out, and common sense (the less you put in the better.)

The paint was applied simply because the pool had been painted when I bought the house years ago, the consensus of web and recommendations was that I needed to continue to paint. The last paint was done without an acid wash (Says Renter "I was a pool guy!"), did it myself this time, acid wash and all, put a lot of time and effort in and it looks great - let's see how long it lasts.

All of the pool stores asked me to bring in a water sample, I would prefer to figure out the process myself, then hope to get by with a little help from all of you, thanks in advance.

I did pick up a filter today, only because I live in Vegas, and Lake Mead is not an inspiring water source, looking at the ring-around-the-basin is actually scary, maybe money wasted but I hope it provides some use.

I got the 72 hour wait from the web, understand I should start chem checks from an hour in, will do so.

Learned a valuable shut-down lesson today - open all the valves and let the water drain out of your pipes before closing up shop. Today I opened the valves to the drains and skimmer, seemed about 15 gallons of raw sewage flowed back into the pool. Cleaned it all up just now, will wait for my daughter to get out of school and let her open the spigot to fill the pool - she wants to be a mermaid when she grows up, and has no hesitation to jump into a 50 degree pool...

Again, thanks to all,

Ed
    7,500 gallon, funky kidney shaped, Hayward Cartridge filter, no heater, partial sunshine

7. Back To Top    #7

It's ok, you can re plaster later and let her enjoy the pool this summer, maybe a few more. Please get your numbers right before letting her get in. Especially based on what you just said. Thinking only of her safety but not trying to be a back seat Nanny.

We will guide you through this, and we have no motivation to sell. We all just enjoy helping others get educated on their own pool management.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:

8. Back To Top    #8

All:

Got the pool filled, filled up the filter basin, primed the pump... Shazam! Filter running, vacuumed out the pool, crystal clear new water on a newly-painted pool...

I got the word from Jason on how get the $10 off for the TF-100, sent along the support payment and ordered the kit. In the interim, based on your advice, wanted to start off with the chemistry so I brought my water sample to NPS. Their response? Just a little muriatic acid, two pounds of conditioner and a shock. **** the luck, the only two chemicals I have are pH minus and conditioner. Awesome... I applied half of what they recommended, and a few gallons of bleach, goal is not to add too much until I get the TF-100 and can precisely test and adjust. Standing by for counter-battery if my logic is completely jacked up.

I have an automatic pool filler, yes, it failed, so after the pool was reasonably full I departed for Walmart to pick up bleach. Got home, filled to the brim! Shut the cut-off valve, water should evaporate back down to the proper level shortly. The auto-fill is pretty basic, just a 1/2" tube with a float attached to it, no idea how to replace that, will post a photo shortly.

Again, thanks for all the help, back to Pool School to reinforce what I thought I knew about pool chemistry but forgot between yesterday and today...

Cheers,

Ed

9. Back To Top    #9

Right on! You are well in your way and headed in the right direction!

LOL at reading it again because you forgot what you read yesterday! Ain't it the truth! I printed stuff and carried it around with me for like a year before it all sunk in and started to really make sense. But, boy is it easy and troublefree once you get it all figured out!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

10. Back To Top    #10

Good job once more on taking over Ed, and thank you for supporting the forum!

It will be the best thing you ever do for your pool and peace of mind.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:

11. Back To Top    #11

TFP Guide

The float valve in your auto fill sounds like the one I have. If so, its the same as is used in swamp coolers. I found an exact replacement at my local Ace Hardware store.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

12. Back To Top    #12

You are on the correct track to having clear water for you little mermaid! I can't wait to hear about her first swim!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit