Main Drain Plumbing

dtrujillo63

LifeTime Supporter
Feb 25, 2015
Los Angeles
Should I be worried that my PB ran the main drain suction pipe to the skimmer, then from the skimmer to the pump? Is there a significant advantage to running dedicated pipes for both the skimmer and main drains directly to the pump?

That is how both of my pools have been. But, it is certainly better to have them run independently to the pump. You have more control and can isolate the suction to the floor for draining if desired.

I'm certainly no expert, but for the few extra $ to run two lines to the pump and get the versatility to control the draw of water from either/combination of the bottom of the pool or from the skimmer, I'd go with it. But again, i'm no expert and certainly have enough of my own pool problems that I probably really shouldn't be commenting!!!

So is it just a matter of convenience? Wouldn't the float valve in the skimmer give me the same granular control as a normal valve at the pump? I saw this pool plumbing video and it scared me, basically saying that my pool bottom can rot because there wouldn't be enough suction at the drains and that my pool chemistry will be harder to manage. I'd hate to have the plumbers redo this but if what the video is saying is true, I will. However, if it's just a matter of convenience, I'll leave it as is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q84DsgnbfHI&t=2m52s

You can use the float to control the flow from the skimmer but I would not recommend reducing the flow from the skimmer. If anything you are better off reducing the flow from the main drain so the skimmer works better. Main drains are optional in pools and many pools are now being built without them so they are really unnecessary for proper pool maintenance and tend to steal flow from the skimmers which I think are much more important. Despite what the video says, there is no chemical settling if you actually run the pump when you add chemicals even without a MD.

However, as was noted several times, the proper way to plumb a skimmer is with an equalizer line to a wall port and have the main drain on a separate line (or no main drain at all). About the only advantage of this setup is that it allows easier draining below the skimmer line because you can isolate the main drain.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.