Cartridge filter suggestion.

Apr 7, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Hi All,

Looking for advice on selecting a cartridge filter. I'm hoping that someone could even go to the point of suggesting a specific model. As per my signature, I currently have a sand filter, which I have fought with for the last three years. I realize it has won it's right to retirement after many repairs and limping along.

I'm choosing cartridge over sand because from what I've read, it cleans better than sand, I don't have to backwash as often and can use lower pressure. (I hope these are valid reasons).

Thanks
Tim.

Cartridges clean more quickly than sand. The end result is the same, the cartridges just get there more quickly.

The Clean and Clear Plus CCP420 is a good choice. There are plenty of good choices, that is just my personal favorite.

You don't backwash a cartridge. Instead you take the cartridge out and hose off the debris, then put it back in.

I'm not sure what you mean by lower pressure. Any kind of filter works better at lower flow rates. With sand you need a fairly high flow rate to backwash, but not to filter.

Thanks for the suggestion Jason.
So, things to consider when picking a cartridge filter....?
1 >>>>>> Size matters....to a point? I'm sure there is a minimum sqf based on pool size, how do you calculate this?
2 >>>>>> If bigger is better, then it is the pocket book that appears to be the limiting factor. But, based on #1 above, if I take things to the extreme, if my calculation suggests a minimum size of 100 sqf then a 300 sqf should be more than enough. So, going to 420 sqf would be an extreme and possibly a waste of $ in my situation. Does this logic make sense?
3 >>>>>> other than quality and warranty, is sqf the only consideration?
4 >>>>>> when installing, should I plumb a valve before the filter that will allow me to drain to waste?

thanks again.

No need for a drain valve, there is a drain plug on the filter. Size is the only thing that matters, get the biggest one you can afford and fits on your equipment pad. There is no downside to bigger other than cost. The upside is that you can go longer between cleaning. The only downside to smaller is more frequent cleaning.

Here's my 2¢.
1. Correct to a point. There is a minimum, for ease of maintenance as well as rate of flow thru the filter.
2. For an 18,000 gallon pool I wouldn't recommend anything smaller than a 300 SF cartridge. 100 SF is too small. The 420 Jason recommended is a very good size for your pool.
3. Pretty much.
4. For convenience it's an easy addition. I'd recommend it. That way if you ever needed it, you'd already have it. It could also be used as a fill point, if you don't already have one.

Thanks for the great input everyone.
Ouch!!! replacement costs are high! That may impact my thinking a bit.
So, I have been considering this filter (Jandy CV460): http://www.poolsuppliescanada.ca/jandy-cv460-cartridge-filter.html
This place (poolsuppliescanada.ca) seem to have the best prices, bought my pump and SWG from them.
The filter replacements (Pleatco) for this are about $100 each (regular $150). So I would be looking at a further cost of $400 +tax every 4 - 5 years!!!! Ouch.
In the boating world the word BOAT is actually an acronym for "Bring Out Another Thousand". I wonder what POOL stands for!

I have a Hayward C3030 for my 18,000 gal IG pool. I'm happy with the performance of it. I'm not happy at the replacement costs of the filters (4 of them) online 43.00 a piece, retail 99.00 ea.

I have the same filter, Hayward C3030. It works great for my pool size (which is a bit smaller than yours), but I think it would be adequate for yours unless you have tons of pollen, dust, etc. to deal with. I have had my filter for a year and only cleaned it once. My plan is a once per year rinsing. My guess is that for you worst case would be twice a year rinsing. I bought my filter from these guys: http://poolandspasupply.com/hayward-c3030-c3025-325-sqft-swimclear-pool-filter.html At $525, it was the best price I could find, and the extra $175 to go to the next larger size was not worth it to me but others may have other opinions. I plumbed a valve before the filter that allows me to drain to waste. It came in handy when we had a huge rainstorm, and I wanted to keep the pool from overflowing.

Here is an article in pool school about cartridges, Filter Article

There are definitely trade offs from one filter type to the next with maintenance, cost, etc.

For the record, I like the Pleatco filters a lot better than the OEM Pentair filters. They have better flow, easier to clean, last longer and keep my pool just as clean. My filters are starting their 4th pool season and there are no signs of issues. That is probably another selling point for getting a bigger cartridge filter because you clean them less so less wear ad tear should help them last longer.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Never bought any yet, but there are numerous sellers of Pleatco filters on ebay. I found a set of 4 for my 520 SF Pentair for under $200 shipped.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.