Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Sand Area Beside Pool Question

1. Back To Top    #1

Sand Area Beside Pool Question

We have an area that we are wanting to add a couple of Palm trees and a hammock area on one side of our pool. I was thinking that coving the ground with sand (roughly 20x15' area) would really give it a nice look, however, at the same time I'm concerned with the obvious issues of sand next to the pool and being tracked in the house as well. Has anyone done something similar or have any suggestions on an alternative? Or, would the sand actually be an option?

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: Sand Area Beside Pool Question

This is done often enough. It can be a drag sometimes, but isn't going to damage anything. The pool can handle it. Tracking into the house is rather more of a pain.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

To minimize tracking in the house, get a pan of water to step in to rinse off your feet. Have an absorbent towel to step on to take most of the water off your feet and you can go right in. Not perfect but pretty effective.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Unless you have a dog, I'm guessing neighborhood cats are possibly going to also enjoy your new sand area as well.
    8.5k gallon IG pebble sheen play pool with Intellitouch control, Intellifo VF, IC 20, Rainbow tab feeder (not currently in use), Pentaire mystery cartridge filter with labels faded to the point I have no idea on the model, Intellibrite 5g LED light, Hayward Navigator. Adding IntelliPh and Crestron control next.

5. Back To Top    #5

Manchester, NH

We had landscaped a "beach" area near our pool. Some sand chairs, umbrella and pails/shovels to complete it. It was great at first...loved wiggling my toes in the hot sand. It was also the community litter box! Should have known better. We cleaned it up and sodded it but the sod died. I am removing it and will make it a patio once the budget allows.
    Above ground, steel wall, 15 x 25 oval 11,000 gallon's, cartridge filter, 2 speed pump