Can I bypass the pool Control Panel and go directly to Pump

mose

LifeTime Supporter
May 17, 2012
Dallas, Texas
My Hayward Control Panel has gone "haywire" and I am no longer able to control my Pool Equipment via the Control Panel.

I would like to take the Power that is going into the Control Panel and wire it directly to the EcoStar variable speed pool pump.

I have attached some pic's. I have read up on wiring the EcoStar and the only questions I have are:

1) There are 4 wires (Red-pwr, Blk-pwr, Grn-ground, and a White-?? wire) The instructions only call for 3 wires and a ground wire (which is already connected to the side of the pump motor (solid copper).

2) The size of the wires coming off the 25 amp breaker are huge. I am not sure how easy it will be to wrap those thick wires around the pump terminals.

mose

- - - Updated - - -

Here is the video on wiring the pump. At the 4:39 spot into the video it talks about wiring the EcoStar Pump.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFyS-w-mOPM

mose

Attachments

• 20150413_165223.jpg
    20150413_165223.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 69
  • 20150413_165349.jpg
    20150413_165349.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 68
Reactions: hayson337
The pump doesn't use the white wire, just cap it off.

If your Hayward panel contains circuit breakers, what you are proposing is not a very good idea (and a code violation). The EcoStar should be wired directly to a circuit breaker anyway, so all you should have to do is to remove the data cable between the controller and the motor to get the motor working.

If you are no longer going to use the control to turn the pump off and on, do not rewire the high voltage. Just change the settings on the EcoStar and use the control panel on the back of the pump. The EcoStar should presently have the power coming from one of the breakers. Leave it as is and just remove the data wire and re config the EcoStar and use the panel on the back of the pump.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.