Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: No More Salt Water Chlorine Generator -- What's the Right Salt Concentration?

1. Back To Top    #1

No More Salt Water Chlorine Generator -- What's the Right Salt Concentration?

Well, I've finally had just enough of the tempermental salt water chlorine generator system. Too fickle, too many failures, lots of expensive repairs. I think the weather in Las Vegas is just too hot for that stuff. When the generator cell went out again (after just 24 months) that was the last straw. I'm giving up. Waste of time and money.

We've gone over to chlorine tablets in a floater for maintaining the chlorine level in the pool. Seems way more reliable.

The current salt level in the pool is around 3100ppm. What I don't know is:
    -- What's nirvana salt level for a chlorine tablet maintained pool?
    -- Any adverse issue of having this salt concentration?
    --What actions would you take on this salt concentration? (drain pool? do nothing? Add chemical XYZ ?)

Many thanks,
    Zip
    Las Vegas NV
    Pool = 3000 cu. ft. (approx 22,400 gallons)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: No More Salt Water Chlorine Generator -- What's the Right Salt Concentration?

This should be really interesting to watch. Stand by for incoming instructions.
    19204 Gallon L Shape with a 10X10 2nd Step Baja Ledge. Intellichlor IC-40, IntellipH, Cartridge Filter, Pentair Heater/Chiller (Heat Pump). Tons of Deck with Deck Jets. Construction Complete 6/5/17.

"If you don't measure it, you can't manage it!"

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: No More Salt Water Chlorine Generator -- What's the Right Salt Concentration?

The salt level does not matter in your pool then. I would just leave it alone and the concentration will slowly lower due to water replacement after backwashing or the rare rain storm.

BUT ... I disagree with the decision you made. Abandoning the SWG is fine, but switching to tablets is a HORRIBLE idea ... especially in your climate.

I suggest you spend some time reading in Pool School? Start with these:
    ABCs of Water Chemistry
    Recommended Pool Chemicals
    How to Chlorinate Your Pool
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

As jblizzle suggested, when you stop using the SWG you simply stop adding salt and don't worry about the salt level. The salt won't hurt anything and will slowly come down on it's own.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Jason, Jason, Elwood:
    Wow, thanks for the quick response and Jason, thank you for the link on chemicals and pool water quality indicators. I love this sentence about using the tablets...
    They are incredibly convenient and incredibly insidious.
    Message received loud and clear. What's a surprise is everyone here swears by them.

Again, thanks.
    Pool = 3000 cu. ft. (approx 22,400 gallons)

6. Back To Top    #6

No problem. After I posted that I started thinking that I may have come off a little rude, glad you did not take it that way

So as you may have now realized, the only methods we typically recommend are SWG or bleach.
    Now if Florida with massive amounts of rain, the trichlor tablets can often be used without a problem ... but that is a very different climate than you and I are in
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

7. Back To Top    #7

Those tablets aren't cheap, either! I wonder how much you'll spend in tablets over the course of 24 months.

I'm also Las Vegas - what salt cell do/did you have?
    IG gunite 32 x 18 on a bachelor budget! Click Here To See

8. Back To Top    #8

Living in Central Florida, pucks got my CYA over 100 by the prior owner. Pucks cause issues here also. Yes we do get more showers and have to drain more often, but they still cause havoc.

As a side note everything was pretty much dialed in, and last night we got 2 inches of rain. Had to drain down to day. I'll test at the end of the week.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

9. Back To Top    #9

OK, so maybe FL was not a good example since the pools are open year round. Somewhere that gets a lot of rain AND does a partial drain to close for the winter ... OR somewhere with a very short season before a partial drain may get by using trichlor tablets exclusively.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

10. Back To Top    #10

TFP Guide

Previous owner did up here in Wisconsin. Plenty of rain, short swim season and drain to close for winter. The perfect storm !!!

- - - Updated - - -

And swore by algaecide !! They were just so wrong on so many levels.
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ? too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!