Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Is this cell bad?

1. Back To Top    #1

Is this cell bad?

I opened the pool last weekend (Yay!) and the water was nice and clear (YAY!) but my Aquarite SWG said the salt level was at 1800 ppm and wouldn't produce chlorine. I had emptied out some water when I closed and added some when I opened so it was plausible that the salt level was accurate. My cell is 3 years old and I knew better than to blindly add salt in case the cell was bad. I took it to the LPS and they tested it and said it was good. I put salt in to raise the level up a good 1000 to 1500 ppm and let it curculate without the SWG on so I didn't overload the cell. I fired up the SWG today and it showed the level around 3000 ppm and I thought all was good. After about 40 seconds the "check salt" light came on and the level dropped to 2300 just like that. I assume my next step is to buy a new cell but I wanted to poke some brains here in case I'm missing something.

It just occured to me as I'm typing that the water temp is in the 40s. That may be my cause. Does that show up as a "check salt" light? Any help is appeciated!
    32K in ground vinyl pool installed in the early 1990s
    1.5 HP Centurion pump installed in the September of 2012, replaced under warranty in August of 2013
    2.6 SF Hayward sand filter - age unknown but looks pretty new
    Jandy AE-TI heat pump - age unknown but looks new and works great
    Caretaker in-floor cleaning system - works, but not well....on my list of things to work on.
    Aqua-rite SWG - new in about 2006, T-15 cell replaced in summer of 2012

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Is this cell bad?

Pool store cell testing is fairly reliable. If they say it is good, chances are that it is indeed good.

You shouldn't trust salt readings until the pool has been circulating for 24 hours after salt was added.

The SWG is not expected to work at all below 50 degrees, and there are often minor problems below 60 degrees. This would apply to salt readings as well as chlorine generation.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Is this cell bad?

Thanks for the quick reply. I'll let the water warm up and I bet that will solve the problem.