Jandy CL460 Drain Dilemma

HouTX

Apr 13, 2015
Houston, TX
I am a first time pool owner and this forum has been invaluable. Most of my questions have been answered by searching this forum.

I looked up the instructions to clean the filter cartridges and noticed that the drain plug is located about 1/2" from the pump (see attachment). I do not see a way to open the drain plug (no room) unless I am missing something. The pressure is well within the norm (about 18psi currently) and since the pool is 4-5 years old I am assuming it has been cleaned before. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I was afraid of that! Is there a way to clean a cartridge filter without draining the water first ? Is it safe to remove the top once the pressure has been released if the water has not been drained first ? I realize there will be water everywhere when you remove the top, and then manually get the water out of the bottom base (?) What does not make sense is that the filter must have been cleaned in the last 5 years, somehow.

It is easy to clean the filter for routine cleaning: Take the top off, remove the cartridge, hose the cartridge down, and replace everything.

It is nice to have the drain plug out to do the annual full cleanup and winterizing, though I can image doing it without removing the plug.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.