Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Jandy CL460 Drain Dilemma

1. Back To Top    #1

Jandy CL460 Drain Dilemma

I am a first time pool owner and this forum has been invaluable. Most of my questions have been answered by searching this forum.

I looked up the instructions to clean the filter cartridges and noticed that the drain plug is located about 1/2" from the pump (see attachment). I do not see a way to open the drain plug (no room) unless I am missing something. The pressure is well within the norm (about 18psi currently) and since the pool is 4-5 years old I am assuming it has been cleaned before. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    30k Gal, IG, PebbleTec, Jandy: CL460 Cartridge Filter, SHPM2.0 Pump (Filter+Spa), SHPM1.5 (Waterfall), spill-over SPA, PLC1400 SWG, LXi400 Heater. Polaris Caretaker Infloor Cleaning system, Jandy PDA-PS-8 remote, Taylor K-2006 Test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Jandy CL460 Drain Dilemma

Welcome to TFP!

My, that is a uniquely bad plumbing job. There isn't any simple way to deal with that short of doing some replumbing.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

I was afraid of that! Is there a way to clean a cartridge filter without draining the water first ? Is it safe to remove the top once the pressure has been released if the water has not been drained first ? I realize there will be water everywhere when you remove the top, and then manually get the water out of the bottom base (?) What does not make sense is that the filter must have been cleaned in the last 5 years, somehow.
    30k Gal, IG, PebbleTec, Jandy: CL460 Cartridge Filter, SHPM2.0 Pump (Filter+Spa), SHPM1.5 (Waterfall), spill-over SPA, PLC1400 SWG, LXi400 Heater. Polaris Caretaker Infloor Cleaning system, Jandy PDA-PS-8 remote, Taylor K-2006 Test kit

4. Back To Top    #4

If you open the air release valve on the top, the water in the filter should drain down and then you can just take the top off.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

It is easy to clean the filter for routine cleaning: Take the top off, remove the cartridge, hose the cartridge down, and replace everything.

It is nice to have the drain plug out to do the annual full cleanup and winterizing, though I can image doing it without removing the plug.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Thank you all, I did not realize that the filter chamber drains when pressure is released. I will give that a try