Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: My First Open

1. Back To Top    #1

My First Open

Ok, I opened my pool for the first time yesterday. It was clear with only a few leaves, cypress needles, and about 20 crawdads scattered on bottom. There was no visible signs of algae.

Readings after I added water and pump ran for couple hours (7 P.M.)

6.8 FC (I added about 50oz in skimmer when I first fired up pump)
    0.0 CC
    7.5 pH
    110 TA
    270CH
    25-30 CYA
    30 Borate
    3350 Salt (according to SWG)

water temp was 56 at open

OCLT 12hrs (7 A.M.) with cover on all night (SWG unplugged):

Water Temp 67

6.6 FC
    0.0 CC
    7.5 pH
    110 TA
    270 CH
    25-30 CYA

So does this mean I made it through winter without issues in the Water (other than running jets to bring TA down a little)?

One thing I am wondering is why my CYA went down over the winter it was around 50-60 when closed? I know I added about 6" of water that would dilute it a little when I opened, but I didn't expect it to be cut in half. Does water temp or something consume it or mess with test? Pool Math called for 110 oz to get it to 70, but I only added 32oz in skimmer basket to start incase the readings were off and I checked here.
    18,900gal Viking 16'x40' Fiberglass In-Ground Pool w/ Cover Pool Auto Cover.
    WhisperFlo WF-24; Clean & Clear RP 150 Cartridge Filter; UltraTemp Heat Pump; IntelliChlor IC40 w/ IntelliPh Acid Pump;
    Easytouch Panel w/Screen Logic. Kreepy Krauly 820 Robot.
    LaMotte WaterLink Mobile Spin Lab & TF100/K2006 w/ Speed Stir.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: My First Open

It is not uncommon to lose some CYA over the winter. If only we could get that to happen on purpose.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Is the first day too soon to do a oclt? Is another one needed in a few days when water is warmer?
    WhisperFlo WF-24; Clean & Clear RP 150 Cartridge Filter; UltraTemp Heat Pump; IntelliChlor IC40 w/ IntelliPh Acid Pump;

4. Back To Top    #4

You are much more likely to fail an OCLT the first night, but having passed you should be fine.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

I only lost another 0.2 FC in 24hrs with no chlorine additions (cover was on entire time). All other readings stayed same.

Thanks Jason

6. Back To Top    #6

Hey AC,

May I suggest using a 10ml sample size for FC? Entirely up to you, but it will save you some Titrating reagent.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks Patrick, yeah I usually do but for the opening and OCLT'S I used the 25mL for the accuracy.